Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I'm relatively new to the Mac world (less than a year with a Mini), and I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to cut a portion of an image and save it as a new image? (Note: I'm trying to do this using only the software Mac OSX came with)

Example, In WinXP I would do the following:
1.)Open an image in Paint
2.)Use the selection tool to draw a box around the area I want to cut
3.)Cut the selection using Ctrl-X
4.)Click on the File menu and select New, to create a new blank canvas
5.)Reduce the size of the new canvas so that it is smaller than the selection I cut from the existing image
6.)Paste the cut image using Ctrl-V (Paint automatically resizes the canvas to fit the pasted image)
7.)Save the new image

On the Mac, I tried using iPhoto to edit the image, but even if I saved the image after cropping it, opening the file from Finder would open the original image, not the cropped version. It didn't seem to make the changes permanent? I also tried the Painting tool in AppleWorks, but couldn't find a way to reduce the size of the canvas, paste a cut piece of an image, and have the canvas automatically resize to fit the pasted image.

Anyone have a quick method they use for saving cut pieces of images?

I'm not interested in buying Photoshop at this time, and would prefer not to have to download any freeware or shareware to handle this task.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
1) Open image in Preview
2) Use selection tool to draw a box around the area you want to cut
3) Cut the selection using Command-X
4) Create new file from Clipboard using Command-N
5) Save the new image

Two fewer steps!

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
If you're using iPhoto, then don't mess with the pictures in the Finder. iPhoto saves both your changes *and* the original file. Just export (Share -> Export) the edited version from iPhoto.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
reh said:
If you're using iPhoto, then don't mess with the pictures in the Finder. iPhoto saves both your changes *and* the original file. Just export (Share -> Export) the edited version from iPhoto.

Or drag the cropped photo in iPhoto to your desktop. Wheeeeeeeee. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.