Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
Ok Gentlemen and Ladies, I really need some guidance here from your expertise and experience:

I had been running the latest (non-beta) version of Yosemite OS X on my late 2013 (6.2) i7, 8GB, 512SSD MBA with no problems at all. During WWDC I saw the intro for El Capitan and thought that it some had some nice features I would like to use and try out. I went to the Dev site from Apple and downloaded OS X 10.11 Beta using the download link there. Then it directed me to the App Store for the software download using the proper redemption code as well; again no issues at all. I proceeded to download the software. When it was finished downloading I closed all applications and the computer restarted and began the installation. After about 25 minutes it was complete and began the setup process as planned. The first thing it did was identify that Dropbox was incompatible and said it moved the application into an area of "incompatible apps" that would not work with the new Beta yet. Ok no problem. But when I hit continue it froze up. I waited about 15-20 minutes and walked away. When I came back the screen was black. When I moved the mouse the normal login/password screen was up. I entered my password and then the computer loaded without issue. However, NOTHING about the OS X is different at all. There are only a few of the new features supposed to be available in the new OS. For example, there is the new "Disc Utility" and the new icon when the OS is thinking/processing (colorful spinning circle), but NO new Safari with pins, NO new expanded Searchlight, etc. It also "says" 10.11 El Capitan in "About this Mac" but the appearance, applications, settings, etc., all SHOW Yosemite.

I have tried to download again the Beta and reinstall the OS but the SAME thing happens again and again. I have tried about 3 times in total to reinstall but things remain the same after rebooting.

I know I should not install a Beta on my primary, and this is not my primary, but I do use the computer frequently. I have never had any issues in the past, just now.

I don't know to do.

PS - As I have been trying to post this, Safari has now crashed 4 separate times, and the computer has crashed and restarted twice overall.

Please advice....

Thanks

Best,

USVet

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Safari pins are there, you'll see the option if you right-click on a tab or drag it toward the left edge. I will also add that 10.11 has been fairly stable for me so far (late 2013 rMBP).

Do you have a Time Machine backup you can restore from?

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
Safari pins are there, you'll see the option if you right-click on a tab or drag it toward the left edge.

Thank you for the response.

Do you have a Time Machine backup you can restore from?

Yes I do. I did make a complete TM backup before the install "just in case" there was an issue of this magnitude. However, even in the past I have always been able to just re-install without any issue but this is providing an interesting dilemma.

I suppose I could always just restore the Yosemite backup I made, then re-sinstall El Capitan again, if that is what you are getting at.

Thanks

Best,

USVet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.