Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I am running into a weird issue and I'm hoping someone here has experienced the same and knows how to fix it:

I recently upgraded my sound system to a Sonos "Surround" bundle--the Arc soundbar, one Sub, and 2 OneSLs for the right and left rear surround speakers. My TV is a new-ish LG 50" 4K TV with HDMIArc. I have this all hooked up to an Apple TV 4K and a Nintendo Switch dock, and just finished up my installation this week as far as mounting everything on the walls, patching paint holes from the old system, hiding cables, etc. I'm honestly really proud of the installation--I daresay it looks like I hired someone to come over and do it for me. (My home improvement projects usually do NOT look this good or go this smoothly.)

Here's my one glitch though: My old system was all hooked up through speaker wire to the surround speakers, and then HDMI passthroughs on my receiver to send everything in to and out of the TV. I couldn't do HDMI out from the TV to the receiver because the receiver was old and lacked the necessary ports, so I had to use an optical cable instead. It was super janky and wasn't the most amazing sounding system in the world, but it worked well enough.

The Sonos Arc, on the other hand, wants everything to come through the HDMIArc port. No problem--luckily I have a TV new enough to do that, and everything is working beautifully. EXCEPT when I need to change inputs. With my old school setup, I had everything just set to run through TV audio. The Switch dock and the Apple TV could talk back and forth to the TV and let it know to turn on and off, and vice versa. If I turned one on and then the other, whichever one I turned on later would come on. If I turned one off, it would switch to the one that was still on. It could be a little glitchy but worked most of the time.

With my new setup over HDMIArc, if I have the Switch and the Apple TV on at the same time, the TV will flicker back and forth between the two inputs constantly until I turn one of them off, manually switch the input, and then hope the Apple TV doesn't come back on for some reason and take over what I'm doing on the Switch. (It does happen sometimes).

So I'm wondering--do I just need to tell the TV to stop controlling other devices, or do I tell the Apple TV to stop talking to the TV for controls? It doesn't seem to be a problem on the Switch, just the Apple TV seems to have a mind of its own. I'm a little confused as to what settings should be toggled--the descriptions aren't super clear in tvOS, and we all know how the built in TV software can be as well.

deksawyer

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I'd disable HDMI CEC on the Nintendo and see how you go from there. If you're able to switch between sources on the TV remote directly, CEC might be handy on the ATV to control the volume etc...but I guess the Sonos will be doing that.

I personally find CEC a pain, and use a Harmony Hub remote.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I'd disable HDMI CEC on the Nintendo and see how you go from there. If you're able to switch between sources on the TV remote directly, CEC might be handy on the ATV to control the volume etc...but I guess the Sonos will be doing that.

I personally find CEC a pain, and use a Harmony Hub remote.
This is pretty much what I ended up doing. The Switch seemed to be the main culprit. The Apple TV 4K turns the TV on and off, lets me control the volume, and in general just works the way it's supposed to over HDMIArc. It's the Switch that can't seem to make up its mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.