Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eagle 20

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
Michigan
I like to keep detailed logs for various things. For example, recently I've been dealing with a website where PayPal is involved. So I have emails, phone recordings, screenshots etc. At the moment I'm using Notes since I have all Apple products, making it available on all my devices and handy, but it's far from ideal. I have notes there, everything else in separate folders on my MacBook, and then have to remember to make a log of whatever it is on my calendar.

I really want to keep a detailed log where everything is kept together for easy reference. Unfortunately, I don't know where to even begin. I want my logs accessible from all my devices and have them backed-up. Also, I want to know my logs are secure because they may contain sensitive information. Additionally, I'd like to do this without having to pay for anything since I'm on a very tight fixed income and simply can't afford it.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Take a look at the Bear app. It is very secure and has a lot of powerful features. It is great for keeping logs and diaries. It also supports single note encryption. The pro version is $15 a year. One of the best apps I have used.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
So I have emails, phone recordings, screenshots etc.

Sounds like a good match for Evernote.

Also, I want to know my logs are secure because they may contain sensitive information.

That's the catch. Anytime you put information on-line it becomes vulnerable. Organizations which spend millions on security are breached. Evernote got hacked in 2013 so I expect their security to be the best available right now. It's a trade-off between convenience and risk. Evernote does support encryption of single notes.

Eagle 20

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
Michigan
Take a look at the Bear app. It is very secure and has a lot of powerful features. It is great for keeping logs and diaries. It also supports single note encryption. The pro version is $15 a year. One of the best apps I have used.

Thanks BasicGreatGuy!

I looked into Bear and think it might work well for what I'm wanting to do. Though I'm bummed that only text notes can be encrypted. But I'm going to give it a try and see how it works out. Thanks again! :)

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Eagle 20

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
Michigan
Sounds like a good match for Evernote.

That's the catch. Anytime you put information on-line it becomes vulnerable. Organizations which spend millions on security are breached. Evernote got hacked in 2013 so I expect their security to be the best available right now. It's a trade-off between convenience and risk. Evernote does support encryption of single notes.

Evernote crossed my mind and I made an account. But I severely lack patients and find it way too complicated.

Then security being a concern of mine makes it more difficult because it seems like the majority of apps and/or websites only allow the encryption of text, which doesn't really help me a whole lot. I've found websites which have, or appear to have, great security but they are so outrageously priced that they're not really an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.