Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
In the MacPro6,1 (2013 model), inside the metal cylinder there is thin rim which runs around in the top inner half of the cylinder. Inside this rim sits a band of special triple-layer foam padding meant to cushion the main unit against the cylinder to remove vibration noise.

This foam padding deterioriated and came out of my MacPro6,1. I want to know from where I can get a replacement part to install it myself. I know this is a strange request. For me, I can hear my MacPro vibrating without this rim of foam padding.

Can someone here please help? I don't even know how to look for this part online.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
In the MacPro6,1 (2013 model), inside the metal cylinder there is thin rim which runs around in the top inner half of the cylinder. Inside this rim sits a band of special triple-layer foam padding meant to cushion the main unit against the cylinder to remove vibration noise.

This foam padding deterioriated and came out of my MacPro6,1. I want to know from where I can get a replacement part to install it myself. I know this is a strange request. For me, I can hear my MacPro vibrating without this rim of foam padding.

Can someone here please help? I don't even know how to look for this part online.
Might be able to find some sort of adhesive foam padding. Not sure of what the thickness you need is, I no longer have my 6,1 so I can’t check. I don’t even remember there being foam inside mine from the times I opened it for cleaning. I wonder if that was a later addition. Anyway, a Google search finds lots of adhesive foam padding in various thicknesses. The only other alternative is to find a broken 6,1 being sold for parts. There used to be a lot of very cheap broken ones but all the ones I currently see on eBay are still probably too expensive for this.

mac_Apple

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2023

Did you find something to replace the old one? i have the same issues.

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Mine started to peel off as well, a few centimeters but I used clear glue and applied a small amount carefully, all fine now. The latch closes a little harder/more force, but that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.