Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
My MacPro6,1 would no longer turn on. Even the backlight on the I/O panel would not turn on when I turn the unit around. Did a blind NVRAM reset. No change. Connected power to Mac Pro while cylindrical housing is removed (with magnet attached near power button to disable the magnetic lock) in order to press the diag button on the I/O board to see the diagnostic lights.

The only light is on is #2 11V. None of the other lights (#1 & #3 to #8) are lit.

Is my MacPro truly toasted? Is this a power supply or I/O board issue? So sad. :(

Last edited:

oogje

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2002
nyc
My MacPro6,1 would no longer turn on. Even the backlight on the I/O panel would not turn on when I turn the unit around. Did a blind NVRAM reset. No change. Connected power to Mac Pro while cylindrical housing is removed (with magnet attached near power button to disable the magnetic lock) in order to press the diag button on the I/O board to see the diagnostic lights.

The only light is on is #2 11V. None of the other lights (#1 & #3 to #8) are lit.

Is my MacPro truly toasted? Is this a power supply or I/O board issue? So sad. :(
Back in March my MacPro6,1 wouldn't power up as you describe. At the time I didn't know about diagnostic LEDs and after searching for a solution I did the least expensive thing which was to replace the CMOS battery per the iFixit guide. When I got to the battery the voltage looked okay but I replaced it anyway. When I put it all back together it powered up and has been running 24/7 ever since. I don't know if it was the battery replacement or just the act of taking it apart, cleaning it and putting it back together that cured the problem. If the battery replacement hadn't worked, my next step would have been to replace the power supply.

Reactions: Rafaellf
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.