Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Is it possible to simulate a Leopard HD in a partition on a Monterey SSD? How do I simulate Rosetta? I want to clone the Leopard HD contents, then run a Leopard application.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The way to 'simulate' it would be to use a virtual machine, not a disk partition. E.g. an application like Parallels, VMWare, or UTM, that 'pretends' to be a computer running inside a computer.

You already have a Leopard HD? You can certainly use a disk image of your Leopard HD within a VM app.

Do you have any hardware that can boot it? What application are you trying to run?

It's just worth saying that there's no Mac that can directly run both Leopard and Monterey from different partitions. (Leopard can't control computers from the future!)

Last edited:

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Thank you, I will try one of the virtual machine’s. Do I need a separate partition for PARALLELs? Once Parrallells is running do I install Leopard, or what do I do w the disk image of the Leopard install disk?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
No, no separate partitions. ("Partitions" are old concepts, anyway - we now have 'volumes'.)

Parallels is just an app, which 'runs a computer inside your computer'. You'll have to read the Parallels instructions for what to do.

Note that Parallels is quite easy to use, but it is expensive; so again I ask what app you want to run, as there might be an alternative.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Do I need a separate partition for PARALLELs?
No. Parallels is simply an application, and the virtual machines it creates are just a bunch of files on your drive. One of these files, the virtual hard drive, will appear like a real hard drive to the virtual machine. But it's completely independent of your host OS (Monterey) and data.

Once Parrallells is running do I install Leopard, or what do I do w the disk image of the Leopard install disk?
Yes, you need to install Leopard just like you would on a regular Mac. You can point Parallels to the disk image and it will try to handle everything else.

Note that Parallels is quite easy to use, but it is expensive; so again I ask what app you want to run, as there might be an alternative.
There's a free version called Parallels Desktop Lite.

It's just worth saying that there's no Mac that can directly run both Leopard and Monterey from different partitions.
Some Macs that can natively run Leopard can also run Monterey unofficially, and in this case, it's possible to have both OSes on separate partitions (or "volumes") and select the one to boot when turning on the system.

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
They discontinued the Free version on the App Store some time ago. They had the nerve to "upgrade" existing users to the full version that required a subscription.

Some Macs that can natively run Leopard can also run Monterey unofficially,
It would have to be a Early 2009 Mac -- but I'm guessing that if the OP had already upgraded one of those using OCLP, they wouldn't be asking about how to get Leopard working on it.

Last edited:

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
If you go the Parallels route there is a free 14 day trial.

Also you may want to double check it supports the guest operating system you want to run, I guess is 10.5 leopard. They have a listing but it only goes as far as 10.6 snow leopard, and then states many more...

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
If you go the Parallels route there is a free 14 day trial.

Also you may want to double check it supports the guest operating system you want to run, I guess is 10.5 leopard. They have a listing but it only goes as far as 10.6 snow leopard, and then states many more...
its only 10.5, not snow leopard, thanks

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
They discontinued the Free version on the App Store some time ago. They had the nerve to "upgrade" existing users to the full version that required a subscription.

It would have to be a Early 2009 Mac -- but I'm guessing that if the OP had already upgraded one of those using OCLP, they wouldn't be asking about how to get Leopard working on it.
Yes, I don't have a 2009 device. I have a G4 iBook from 2001-2, but it is as slow as Xmas. So I wanted the use of a faster processor.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
No. Parallels is simply an application, and the virtual machines it creates are just a bunch of files on your drive. One of these files, the virtual hard drive, will appear like a real hard drive to the virtual machine. But it's completely independent of your host OS (Monterey) and data.

Yes, you need to install Leopard just like you would on a regular Mac. You can point Parallels to the disk image and it will try to handle everything else.

Some Macs that can natively run Leopard can also run Monterey unofficially, and in this case, it's possible to have both OSes on separate partitions (or "volumes") and select the one to boot when turning on the system.
I have a G4 iBook that is slow as Xmas, so hoping the virtual HD will be faster.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
The server version of Snow Leopard was the first that was allowed to be virtualised, so VMware and Parallels don't support the previous versions.
There are tricks to make it run, but you'll have to google it.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
The server version of Snow Leopard was the first that was allowed to be virtualised, so VMware and Parallels don't support the previous versions.
Snow Leopard is not compatible w this app. Has to be Pre Snow Leopard. I'm going to try a free trial period vm

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Snow Leopard is not compatible w this app.
Third time: what's the app? Is there no modern replacement? Nothing that can read the files?

There comes a point when you have to move on, rather than replying on ancient software, layers of emulation/virtualisation, or ancient hardware. Hopefully, your data comes with you; but software has a shelf life.

Reactions: orionquest

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I have a G4 iBook that is slow as Xmas, so hoping the virtual HD will be faster.
It will be much faster.

I’ve virtualised Tiger and Leopard in VMware Fusion. They run just fine but VMware checks that they’re the Server editions — prior to Lion, client versions weren’t allowed to be virtualised.
VirtualBox doesn’t care about any of this.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
It will be much faster.

I’ve virtualised Tiger and Leopard in VMware Fusion. They run just fine but VMware checks that they’re the Server editions — prior to Lion, client versions weren’t allowed to be virtualised.
VirtualBox doesn’t care about any of this.
Thanks, will try virtual box first

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Thanks, will try virtual box first
Be warned that VirtualBox does require some additional customisation because it presents the same processor that your host has, which is likely far too new for Leopard to recognise, causing it to crash. Look at these instructions. They're for Tiger but should also do the trick for Leopard. And it will only work if you have an Intel Mac.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Hold up...

What machine are you trying to install Leopard to as a VM? Is this an M1/ M2 machine, or is this an older Intel machine?

Reactions: benwiggy

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
19,1 iMac
I really hate when people don't answer the question directly. I looked up what a 19.1 iMac is. It's a 2019 iMac 5K with a "Coffee Lake" processor.

You will need the following:

1. A copy of VirtualBox. Download at https://www.virtualbox.org/
2. A copy of MacOS X 10.5 Leopard DVD. Machine specific copies would (probably) not work. You should be able to find a copy of Leopard from eBay.

Do NOT expect to have the following:
- Sound
- 3D Acceleration (So it will be slow graphically) (source: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=96096)

However, reading your other questions sounds like you are not familiar with virtualization programs. I recommend reading up on Type 2 Hypervisors and seeing if this is something that is usable for your use case. See https://www.techtarget.com/searchitoperations/definition/Type-2-hypervisor-hosted-hypervisor for information about Type 2 Hypervisors .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.