Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to what cables I need to hook up my two 27in Apple Cinema Displays (non-Thunderbolt). I am updating from the default Radeon GFX card to the GTX 680 to be Metal compatible in my older Mac Pro 5.1.

The back of the GTX 680 looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/3GOoYOZ

I am perplexed as to what adapters / cable etc. I may need for each display and where I plug in those cables into the GTX 680. I see there is a display port spot on the back of the GTX 680 and a HDMI (is it a mini HDMI?). Do I plug one monitor into the display port and the other into the HDMI? If there is a smarter solution, I am happy to implement that as well, I just don't have the expertise or knowledge myself right now on what I need to do.

I appreciate any help in advance. Many thanks!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
That is: One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPort.

You need DisplayPort to miniDisplayPort adapter for one 27” ACD. This is a cheap and common cable. Basically this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DV2RGG

You’re fighting a cost battle trying to get that second 27” ACD connected if you don’t already own the adapters. Likely need active adapters. They aren’t cheap. You’d be better off spending that money on a new GPU...

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Ok, thank you. Is there an ideal GPU that would work with the two displays I have? I have looked and they are the 27in Apple LED displays with minidisplay ports at the end of both displays FWIW.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
DisplayPort and miniDisplayPort are the same standard/protocol, just basically need a gender changer style dongle to adapt mini to full size. They are cheap and very common. Using one with my 27" ACD to Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB GPU right now (MP5,1 with Mojave 10.14.4). This model has 2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 DVI-D standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.