Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opbbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
Hello, I have 2 questions about excel for mac.

1) I want to assign a keyboard shortcut for the litte downward triangle button next to the font color button (shown on the left side of the attached photo). I want to hit a certain keystroke and bring out the color palette as shown in the attachment picture. I tried assigning the "Font color" to a keystroke but that just clicks the font color button, not the triange button next to it that brings out the palette. "More colors" isn't what I'm looking for either... How can I assign a keystroke to the little triangle button next to the font color button?

2) WHen I was using windows, every time I highlighted a text in a cell, a little window popped up that allowed me to edit the text (font, size, color, etc) example in the right side of the attached photo. BUt in mac excel, nothign liek this shows up when I hihglight a text. Is there an option to turn this on in excel for mac?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 22.02.56.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 22.02.56.png
    954.8 KB · Views: 99

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I'm not sure I quite understand the reasoning behind what you're trying to do.

Btw, your screenshot shows the cell fill color options on the Mac version of Excel, not the font color options. I'm assuming that was an error and you meant to point to font color options in the screenshot.

Even in the Windows version, you still have to click the drop-down arrow on the floating window to bring up the font color palette, so how is that any different than the Mac, other than the Mac not having a floating window? Seems to me like there's no savings in time between pressing a shortcut key and simply moving your cursor up to the drop-down menu on the Mac version. And even if you were able to assign a shortcut key to the drop-down menu, you'd still have to move your cursor up to then select the desired color.

Am I missing something?

opbbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2023
Actually in the windows version, I can hit the keyboard shortcut to bring out the color palette, use my arrow keys to pick the color I want, hit enter, and be done with it.
I use excel a lot for work and, I need to apply different colors to different sentences within the same cell, so it'S really nice to be able to do all that without my hands leaving the keyboard.
That's why I asked

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Wait, so what is that keyboard shortcut (the one that brings up the color palette) in the Windows version that's not standard in the Mac version? Can you not look up the list of shortcuts in the Windows version to see what they call the action associated with that shortcut key combo so you can then see if that same action is listed in the Mac version for assigning a shortcut key combo to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.