Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Hey, I was curious if anyone could help me with this, I want to make my schools logo large enough to make a wallpaper. But the problem is, I still want to keep the quality (clearity) of the picture. Anyways, here's the picture, so if you could do it be my guest, it would be very appreciated. If you can't do it, or if it's just very simple, then could you explain to me how to do it? Thanks. By the way, here's the logo

Err

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
you really need vector art work to scale it without quality loss, raster stuff is the pits. Is this the only logo you have?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
You're going to be very hard pressed to enlarge the image without a loss of quality, I'm afraid – bitmap images such as JPEGs don't enlarge well at all. If you try, you'll end up with a blocky image with jagged edges. You'd be better seeing if you can get your hands on a vector version of the logo, saved in EPS format. You can resize these without any loss of quality – perhaps you could ask your teacher if it would be possible to get your hands on a logo saved this way?

Edit: Just a little faster than me there, Err. ;)

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
You won't be able to use this pic. Get in-touch with your school for an original.

As for the vector art comments. I don't think that will work either for this case. Vector art is more for logos that don't contain colors, highlights, and other fine details like this logo has.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Daveway said:
Vector art is more for logos that don't contain colors, highlights, and other fine details like this logo has.
I wouldn't say that – I've encountered a great many vector based logos over the years and some of those have been incredibly intricate, with a very high level of detail. But certainly, irain isn't going to have much luck with the logo in its current format.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Vector art is best, because it can scale to any size, but a second choice would be to find a copy of the art in a raster (bitmapped) format that simply has bigger dimensions, such as 1000x865 or more pixels instead of 133x115 pixels (the size of the one you have). If your school has a raster copy in a size like that, you've got all you need to make wallpaper.

RiseAgainst

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2003
This logo would be extremely easy to create in a vector format. There is nothing here that would be very difficult and this would not be very time consuming. Id be willing to help you out, but id need a bigger pic because i can't read what is on the scroll or see much detail on the shield.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Daveway said:
You won't be able to use this pic. Get in-touch with your school for an original.

As for the vector art comments. I don't think that will work either for this case. Vector art is more for logos that don't contain colors, highlights, and other fine details like this logo has.

On the contrary, Illustrator handles gradients and half tones just fine. The issue here would be to try and scan the logo at a higher res (if original hard copy is available) then place it on a background layer and trace over it basically re-generating the image. then save as an .eps file and then rasterize it at the correct size and resolution for the monitor.

If an electronic image is all he has then at least enlarge it to 200% and then trace over it the best he can.

WaxTheories

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
Atlanta
If that image is all you have to work with, you're in trouble.

As Sparky said, if you had a hard copy you could scan at a higher resolution that would solve your problem. You'll definitely need to find another copy of it at any rate. Your school should have a high res version. If not, they should know someone who does. If they had someone make the logo for them then they might need to get in contact with him/her, and ask for a high res version. Any graphic designer who knows what they are doing will keep a high res copy of their work.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
If you can find a bigger version of the logo, with more total pixels in it so that detail isn't lost, you can use Illustrator to do a LiveTrace of it, which will convert it to vector art. Then you can scale it up as large as you want. LiveTrace in Illustrator CS2 has worked really well for me on the several things I've used it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.