Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I have a 2006 Mac Mini Core Duo, and I'm trying to hook it up to my older analog tube TV. For the most part, I understand how I'm going to do this, but I'm uncertain about the right cables to buy. For example, I've seen that the recommended VGA to RCA or S-video cable by Apple: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A?mco=4BB568D3

In an attempt to save money, I was considering buying a generic one like this: http://tinyurl.com/3mp45xc The product description mentions that the video card in the Mac must support TV-Out functionality, and I didn't know if the 06' model did or if I absolutely had to have the Apple adapter.

The TV only has S-Video and the RCA Composite (Red White and Yellow) hookups, so a direct DVI to Component cable wouldn't work. Incidentally, I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be any DVI to Composite cables floating around, so I suppose I must use my DVI to VGA adapter on the Mini.

Last edited:

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Thank you for your help wrinkster - I'm sure the Apple adapter will work just fine. My question was, "Does any other adapter work?" I know that Apple will sometimes offer overpriced versions of cheap, common cables and attachments, which is why I was asking.

I'm glad the DVI to HDMI adapter worked for you mcb, however my TV doesn't have HDMI, or I'd certainly pursue that option, just for the sake of simplicity. Do you have a 06' or 07' Mac, or do you have one of the more recent models that uses mini-DVI? I suppose DVI doesn't have an adapter that will connect to a composite setup, but it will work with HDMI and component just fine.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
It looks like the only cable I can find that would work is this VGA adapter. In which case, I will need a DVI to VGA converter. There just doesn't seem to be any other regular sized DVI to S-video or composite video adapters around other than the Apple one I've already mentioned

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Signal issues

Well I finally got the Apple Dvi to Video adapter, and I've attached it, but now I've run into a snag. When I first attached the adapter to the Mini, and then to the TV via S-Video, the picture was all right. But after I tried to change the resolution, the TV started flickering and the picture changed to black and white. The screen essentially became unreadable, and I haven't been able to find a solution.

I restarted the Mac, I've tried a different S-Video cable, and I've ensured that the TV was on the "Video 1" output, which is what the TV uses. I also tried using the yellow composite video instead, with the same results. Regardless of which video input I use, the TV is a mess.

Is there a way that I can change the Mac Display Preferences from PAL to NTSC? I'm thinking that could be the possible cause of the problem, so if I could change the signal protocol, maybe that would work. I just don't think it's a bad adapter, because it is brand new, and I have found other instances, in both this forum and others, of this precise adapter displaying these symptoms. Should I try a VGA adapter instead, or is there another solution?

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hooray! I finally got the TV working! I just booted in safe mode and reset my display configuration, and I was good to go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.