Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Hi everybody, new here:)

My mid-2010 MBP shuts down and goes black screen pretty frequently, like multiple times a day, depending on how much I use the laptop of course, and after some research I found out that this issue is very common with mid-2010 MBPs, specifically the 15" models like mine. Apparently the issue is caused by the dGPU in these models, but some say it can be just because of one or two defective capacitors, but i dont know. What i do know, is that when i am using my Mac, it can just be fine for hours and then just crash, crash, and crash over and over. When is say crash i mean that the screen goes black and the system reboots, but the computer and the fans are still on and running while it is crashimg and rebooting, but before the system reboots i get the message "Your computer restarted because of a problem...", to which i need to press a key or wait 60 seconds for it to reboot, like stated in the message. Upon investigation online of this issue and its causes, specifically the "your computer restarted because of a problem" message, I find out that to fix this issue you need to reset the smc and RAM, or update any apps needed to update, but both methods didnt fix it. I specifically get these crashes usually when doing more graphically intensive things, like having multiple apps open, opening or running more graphically-demanding apps, like Opera, which is based on Chrome, a famous RAM and graphics RAM eating browser, leading me to think this is GPU related, whic makes sense since these models are known for GPU problems as I said. I heard this issue is mainly dGPU related, so i downloaded gfxcardstatus and locked the gpu to the iGPU, but still the issue persisted. Just in case, i locked the gpu to the dGPU but the issue persisted. I saw online somewhere that apparently the latest version of gfxcardstatus which works on the 2010 MBPs is v1.8.1, and i used v2.5, so maybe that would work?. I then tried to look for links to download v1.8.1 but no such luck. If anyone can provide a link to download that version, that would be great.
I also thought it way be heat related, since my Mac gets pretty hot* at idle (*insert image here https://i.ytimg.com/vi/P5MeO7xq-j4/hqdefault.jpg), so i installed a fan control app to turn up the fans to max, and the computer was thus not hot, but the issue pesisted. I then, as a last resort, downloaded MBP2010GPUFix by Julian Poidevin but the app failed. What the app put out when I clicked "Patch MBP" (i think this might be important to share):

| Checking compatibility

MBPModelVersion : MacBookPro6,2 ➔ Compatibility : OK ✓

| macOS version :

macOS 10.13

| Checking SIP Status

SIP Disabled

| Searching for AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext found

********** Starting MBP GPU Fix **********

Disabling Kext Signing verification : ✗ : nvram: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) general error

Copying Info.plist file

Previous Info.plist file removed

Patching Info.plist

- FindChild - key|MacBookPro6,2

- NextSibling - dict

- FindChild - key|LogControl

- ModifyIntValue - integer|1

- FindSibling - key|Vendor10deDevice0a29

- FindSibling - key|BoostPState

- FindSibling - key|BoostTime

- FindSibling - key|Heuristic

- FindSibling - key|IdleInterval

- ModifyIntValue - integer|10

- RemoveSiblingLabel - key|P3HistoryLength

- RemoveSiblingValue - integer|2

- FindSibling - key|SensorSampleRate

- ModifyIntValue - integer|10

- FindSibling - key|Threshold_High

- FindSibling - key|Threshold_High_v

- FindSibling - key|Threshold_Low

- FindSibling - key|Threshold_Low_v

Info.plist successfully patched

| Loading Kernel Extension

Removing existing kext in tmp : ✓

Copying actuel kext into tmp : ✓

Copying patched Info.plist into kext : ✓

Changing permission of kext : ✓ /tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources

/tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature

/tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement

/tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS

/tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist

/tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/version.plist

/tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents

/tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

Removing existing kext : ✗ : rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/version.plist: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext: Operation not permitted

Copying patched kext into Extension : ✗ : cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext: Operation not permitted

cp: /tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext: Operation not permitted

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents: No such file or directory

cp: /tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents: No such file or directory

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature: No such file or directory

cp: /tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature: No such file or directory

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources: No such file or directory

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS: No such file or directory

cp: /tmp/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS: unable to copy extended attributes to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS: No such file or directory

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement: No such file or directory

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist: No such file or directory

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/version.plist: No such file or directory

Loading modified kext : ✓

********************* MBP GPU Fix FAILED *********************

As you can see, my mac is compatible, but the fix FAILED, no matter how many times i run the app. I dont know why. If someone here could maybe get the app to work for me, that'd be great, since for most people it seems to fix the issue.

I must also mention I am running High Sierra 10.13.6. Before i switched to High Sierra, i had Yosemite, and it of course still jad these crashes, but when i ran this app on Yosemite the fix was SUCCESSFUL. But weirdly, the issue still persisted back then, so i dont think this app is tje solution, though the version of the app might make a difference, IDK.
I know i could just replace the logicboard, but i think it is not worth it, and at that point i may as well get a new laptop, and want to at all costs avoid that method, and preferably try to fix it with software or some small physical fix, like removing a defective capacitor. I also know i could just bring it in to an Apple store and have them diagnose the issue and maybe fix it, but it is too much money and mainly it would be pretty hard to get them to do anything, and because my computer is way out of warranty and out of the period of 3 years after 2010 where they fixed the issue for free for you under warranty. The computer is great and it will most of the time be fine if i do very light things like web browsing, and i would love to use it for longer. I really hope i can fix it with software or with a small physical fix.

So, I am in a bit of a pickle.
Any input is greatly, greatly appreciated.
If this was a bit of a rant, sorry...

HawkTheHusky1902

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
To anybody who also needs help on this, i fixed it with the gpu fix app by Julian Poidevin. Just need to read the GitHub page. It says to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP), otherwise it will not work, which i didnt before so it didnt work. But, then i disabled it, and it worked. Macbook's working GREAT now, no issues at all! A little battery life drop, but hey, it is working. All other fixes didnt work, except this one. Also, per the GitHub page, the fix will not work with external monitors, even with SIP disabled, so no external monitors anymore:(

Last edited:

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I had the same issue with the same MBP. I was furious when it first showed up for me because I learnt that it was a known issue and my warranty was over already (of course it doesn't apply to you). I also fixed that particular issue with the same app and it worked great for another couple of years, then it died altogether.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I had the same issue with the same MBP. I was furious when it first showed up for me because I learnt that it was a known issue and my warranty was over already (of course it doesn't apply to you). I also fixed that particular issue with the same app and it worked great for another couple of years, then it died altogether.
Oh, i was happy for you in the first part of the comment and then you said it died:(
Anyhow, thanks for tuning in!

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
After 13 years, it's time to start thinking about a replacement.
I just picked it up from my friend a couple months ago for 10 bucks fully working woth an ssd and upgraded ram! So, no, j havent used it for 13 years lol. Fixed the crashing issue, and now it works flawlessly for light tasks, and thought id use it for as much as i can, since it is my first computer ever and my only one, and i need a computer for what i want to do.
Will keep it running as long as possible, and will dual boot Linux and MacOS (new MacOS installed via OCLP).

Reactions: Fishrrman

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Well known issue, it is indeed caused by the bad tantalum capacitor, causing instability/crash on p-state change. There is a completely software fix to avoid the bad p-state changes by patching AGPM kext, as you noted it is at https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix . Or there is also approach where you disable the discrete gpu entirely, this can be done either via nvram, or once booted into osx.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Well known issue, it is indeed caused by the bad tantalum capacitor, causing instability/crash on p-state change. There is a completely software fix to avoid the bad p-state changes by patching AGPM kext, as you noted it is at https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix . Or there is also approach where you disable the discrete gpu entirely, this can be done either via nvram, or once booted into osx.
I used that fix, and now the Mac works flawlessly! Interestingly, in Linux the Mac still doesnt crash, even though the gpu fix software is not in use in Linux.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Didnt ant to disable the dgpu completely, since the cimpiter would be way too slow then, and especially when a software fix that doesnt disable the gpu is availible.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Well, for $10, I'd say you did pretty well, indeed !
Yes, indeed! I actually got it for free from my friend, i just feel like giving him 10 bucks for it would be nice:p
It is running perfectly doing its job as my only computer in my possesion. Other than the screen resolutiin, which is driving me a little bit crazy, its great! But thats why i am planning to replace the current screen with a 60 euro 2011/2010 matte anti-glare/reflective (very important to me, i hate glare) 'high-res' display assembly (very easy to do btw, and i know how to open up amd replace parts in my computer anyway, thats how i cleaned the computer) off of ebay in excellent condition. When you would buy the MBP new in 2010, you could pay extra money to get that 'high-res' screen, but since mine doesnt have it, i am adding it. Apparently the clarity/pixel density is noticeably better when the high res screen is installed, which is important and what i want. Also, i am using the computer for video/photo editing almost without issues🤣 Of course it stutters, but temperatures are under 65 degrees Celsius when editing/exporting a video! Haha....
I love it! Its great! Something really cool about getting a dirt cheap/free computer from a decade ago and cleaning/upgrading/installing a new OS on it, and seeing it run flawlessly! Makes me think how most people would be fine with old computers, just that marketing is soooo effective.
I am planning also planning to dual boot Linux Mint/Pop!_OS and MacOS on it, and replace the battery (because it is old and has a lot of cycles (400) and battery life is not great) with a higher capacity new battery, in addition to the high-res screen. Interestingly, in Linux, the MBP doesnt crash because of the gpu problem, even though the gpu fix is not running/working in linux, or maybe bacause the gpu management or something is diffeeent in Linux or maybe because MacOS with the gpu fix is still on the drive, i dont know. If anybody knows why maybe, let me know! Im interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.