Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I just connected my Mini to my Sony 42" LCD. It worked fine.

I went into Preferences to change the screen resolution to 1080p (it was on 1080i by default) and when I made the change, the screen went black. The Mini is connected via HDMI.

Turned everything off and restarted - all I get now is a black screen.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? lol

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I just connected my Mini to my Sony 42" LCD. It worked fine.

I went into Preferences to change the screen resolution to 1080p (it was on 1080i by default) and when I made the change, the screen went black. The Mini is connected via HDMI.

Turned everything off and restarted - all I get now is a black screen.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? lol

Which preferences did you adjust to 1080p? The television's, the Mini's System Preferences or another application?

Is it possible the Sony doesn't do 1080p? It should take a 1080p signal even if it can't completely display it (down-convert to 1080i).

The Mini would need to be a recent Intel Mini with at least 2GB of RAM to handle 1080p.

EyeTV doesn't really do 1080p, it only does 1080i, if that's what you're using.

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Its a current Intel based Mini. The Sony Bravia LCD is 1080p.

I adjusted the Mini's display settings (in Preferences) for 1080p (it was originally on 1080i when it first was working fine) and then the screen went black.

Upon restart - I can see they gray screen with Apple logo, but once it boots all I get is a black screen.

I did a Google search on this problem, and it appears others have encountered this as well, and have don a pram reset to get it back to 1080i.

But still - this doesn't address why the screen would go black on the 1080p setting on the Mini. Strange.

Could there be a problem with the video card in the Mini?

I'm not using EyeTV, just planning to use hulu and Plex.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Unless it's one of those famous Nvidia glitches, which I'm getting tired of hearing about. Isn't there anything better than Nvidia? It could be DHCP related.

Maybe the Sony is blocking the Mac because it isn't getting DHCP handshake from the Mac as it's coming from a DVI port?? I'm guessing here, but some Google work might find an answer if you throw your Sony's model number and DHCP and Mac Mini into the search.

Wish I could be more help.

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
hi
google how to go into safe mode on the mini, I think its restart and hold shift. or go to apple and punch in safe mode.

It will restart the mini and the display will appear and you can change res back.
then restart mini again. that should fix your problem.
I did the same thing.
hope that helps.
mickey

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Thank you all. I will give it a try when I get home.

Doing a Google search, it appears to be a "handshake" problem - as you suspected with the NVIDIA card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.