Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EchoSierra

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Boston, MA
I am a manager at a retail store, and I have this iPad at work. The company is trying to promote our app, and we were told to help customers sign up for the rewards program on the app on their own devices and/or show them how it works on our personal devices. This iPad is very old, and my boss wants me to see if I can get this old iPad working so that we can use it to sign customers up and show them how the app works on a larger screen, as well as letting older customers who don't have smartphones to use it to sign onto their account to get their deals.

So, this iPad is either an iPad 2 or 3, WiFi model, it does not have a Touch ID home button, and still uses a 30-pin connector. All we want to do is to be able to install our company's app on it (which I know works with iOS 9.3.6 and appears in the App Store, as I've done this at other store locations in the company). But, my problem is a perfect storm of unfortunate dead ends.

I've wiped and reset the iPad. But, that left the screen lock code (which is the store number, so that wasn't hard to figure out), but after connecting to the store WiFi, the iPad asks for the iCloud credentials. The problem is, my company was bought out by another company a few years ago, so a year and a half ago, we switched systems and email domains. The email address associated with the iCloud account no longer exists. The iPad was last used over 2 years ago, and in retail, managers come and go at the whim of corporate. I don't know who the managers were at the time when this iPad was last used, and I highly doubt that they would remember a password from that long ago. Before the systems change, our IT was outsourced to a contractor hired by our previous parent company. That contractor is no longer in business. Our current IT department (new company does IT in-house) can't/won't support any "legacy" hardware (any hardware that wasn't installed during or after the systems switch over). They have the default passwords that the iPads had when we received them, but whoever the managers were that used this iPad had changed the password on the iCloud account.

So, what I would like to do is:

1. See if Apple will remove the iCloud lock if I provide an affidavit of ownership (I'd provide company credentials). Since these were all set up as an enterprise thing, I don't have a receipt as we didn't purchase this on the store level.
2. And if Apple won't help, find out whether I can bypass or circumvent the iCloud lock without jailbreaking it so that I can still use the App Store.
3. And if that's not possible, whether I can jailbreak it to circumvent the iCloud lock.
4. And if I do end up jailbreaking it, will I still be able to get my company's app from the app store? If not, is there a way to get it from the app store on another device, and then sideload it onto the iPad?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
1. Maybe possible. You can at least try. Apple may give more benefit of the doubt to corporate than individual.

2. There are services. But they aren't cheap and they have certain requirements.

3. I've heard someone claim this is possible while arguing with them that it's not. If they did it, I couldn't tell you how.

4. As long as 9.3.6 is supported by the app. There are other ways to get it on there, but once 9.3.6 is no longer supported then there is no guarantee it will work.

Sounds like a lot of hassle just to get one app working. One app that will be supported on 9.3.6 for how long?

And as a company trying to sell stuff how does that look? "Oh, the employee of the store uses a crappy old iPad that doesn't even have TouchID and the app on it runs like crap!"

It sounds to me like you have more problems with management not wanting to spend money then you do with this iPad. I've been there. It only gets worse.

The price you and management are going to pay is going to be more in time and money and lost reputation than getting a new iPad.

Reactions: rui no onna

EchoSierra

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Boston, MA
And as a company trying to sell stuff how does that look? "Oh, the employee of the store uses a crappy old iPad that doesn't even have TouchID and the app on it runs like crap!"

It sounds to me like you have more problems with management not wanting to spend money then you do with this iPad. I've been there. It only gets worse.

The price you and management are going to pay is going to be more in time and money and lost reputation than getting a new iPad.

The app runs alright on the iPads at other stores (all the stores have the same model), and the point of having the iPad is to assist elderly customers who don't have smart phones, so I don't think they'd be able to tell the difference! This is really something that my boss wants to do, and not a corporate directive, so that's why we can't simply buy another iPad for the store.

But, thanks for the response. Now I can just tell him that if Apple won't help, then it's not going to work. I'll probably call Apple later today to see if they'd help (doubtful, but at least I'm doing what I was asked to do)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.