Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malizivko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, I would like to set up Automation, where lights would be at 15% when you turn them on between 11:45pm and 5:00am and after 5am it would be to 100%

I have these two automations and when I Test it, it works, but it does not work during the time slots.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1115.PNG
    IMG_1115.PNG
    943 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1116.PNG
    IMG_1116.PNG
    946.2 KB · Views: 203

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
You’d need to set two automation up.One for the first timing to come on and go off and the other for the second timings. Also when setup you’d need to put the slide at 25% to come on. You can see if it comes on by after setting them press the icon ‘test my automation’ on each of the two also where it says turn off set them to go off

Last edited:

malizivko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Hmmm, i may not be following what you are saying.

Is this what i need to do (besides setting at 25%)?

Attachments

• F7CAA37E-3B8E-4D20-A88E-45FC9348E84B.png
    F7CAA37E-3B8E-4D20-A88E-45FC9348E84B.png
    389.6 KB · Views: 212

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Are you using smart bulbs or smart switches with dimmable dumb bulbs? it sounds like you don’t want the bulbs on all the time during the time slots. You only want them coming on that that pre set brightness during the certain times when you turn them on, is this correct?

malizivko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
@Itinj24

I am using Sengled light bulbs in my kids bathroom. I have two bulbs which are grouped together.

I do not have smart switch, just regular switch which i am using to turn bulbs on and off. If i pre-set brightness to x%, my Sengled bulbs will always turn to that brightness % (w/out any automation).

Yes, that is correct, I only want them coming on pre set brightness “15% or 25%” between 11:45pm and 5:00am when kids turn the light on if they go to the bathroom.

However, i am not sure how to set it up. This is my current set up (photos) and if i Test each Automation, it works (it will dimm it down to 25%).

Sengled light bulbs are connected via Hub (they are not Wi-Fi) and both hub and bulbs are up to date on firmware.

Attachments

• 947D4D14-1C4A-42DE-8B54-3AA433E9098D.jpeg
    947D4D14-1C4A-42DE-8B54-3AA433E9098D.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 65539355-2460-4A4E-9905-08BEB1FEAE0B.png
    65539355-2460-4A4E-9905-08BEB1FEAE0B.png
    954.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 6E3744F7-76E8-4F7F-97C7-4A4B9FC6B1BE.jpeg
    6E3744F7-76E8-4F7F-97C7-4A4B9FC6B1BE.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 6741DCF5-A718-44A3-BC70-42C49B0150CF.jpeg
    6741DCF5-A718-44A3-BC70-42C49B0150CF.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Wait need more clarification...

you want these bulbs to turn on on their own at those times at certain %

Or

When you turn on the power to them you want them to turn on at a certain % if it’s during a certain time frame. But you are basically always turning them on and off based in you turning the light switch on and off?

If the latter then the automation you are using is never going to work. That’s for the first option not the second. I’ll have to ponder if there is a way to create an automation like you are after. It may only be able to do that in the bulb app. It’s not technically an automation, it’s more a conditional situation.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Like inkahauts said so I won’t reiterate but this may possible with the Eve app or converting the automation to a Shortcut. I’d have to play around with it but your best bet is probably just to use a motion sensor to turn on the lights to a certain brightness at the specified time, then turn them the lights off at a elapsed specified time. You can have this for any specified time throughout the day. Just have to bypass the wall switch to always on or putting a cover over it so it won’t be touched.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
You could also....

Do you have an unused smart plug/outlet you could use? If so then you could create a cascade of triggers. Example

First Set the lights to default to 15% when power up always in the bulb app.

Then create automation for When bedroom light turns on between 5 am and 11pm to turn on plug. You’d have that automation end and turn off the plug after 1min. But that wouldn’t affect the actual lights.

Then create second automation that when plug is turned on to set the bedroom light to 100%.

If you use goons you could create a virtual plug to use as the trigger

Another option is to get a smart button like the eve button and then always leave the switch for the lights turned on. Then you’d create automations that worked with the button and would be based on time of day as you want.

The key in all this is the lights getting power by turning the dumb switch on and off isn’t a trigger of any kind that can be used to make an automation, because as I said, it’s not actually triggering anything. It’s so plying giving power to something and that’s an entirely different thing.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok I think I figured this out using Shortcuts.

Tap the + sign to add automation>an accessory is controlled>Select kids bathroom light>*select turns on, then select time, specified times, 5am to 1145pm>scroll down to advanced, convert to shortcut>select scenes and accessories>Kids bathroom light>next>Tap and hold to adjust brightness (100%)>next>done.

*Do the same but adjust times and brightness for 1145pm to 5am at 15%.

I can’t test this as I’m at work but it basically says when you turn the light on between 5am and 1145pm, the light will turn on at 100%. The problem with just using the automation in the home app, it doesn’t let you select the light again that you selected already for the automation to trigger. Converting to a Shortcut allows you to do that.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I just now with my hue lights tried creating a trigger based off of a light turning on it would set a scene. And then I made it so that scene set that same light to a certain setting.It worked once in about 15 tries. The problem is if HomeKit thinks the light bulb is on but not responding because the powers off and then you turn on the light again at the switch it doesn’t necessarily tell HomeKit that the lights been turned on. It tells it to its back to the original state that it last thought it was in before the switch was turned off. So if it always thinks it’s turned on but simply unresponsive when you flip the switch they can never change the state of it because it’s not actually a trigger when it turns on. At least not in HomeKit

I’d really look at getting an eve button or the like. That would be the best and simplest solution and you’d never touch the wall switch again.

A second thought... you might look at the eve app. If it allows you to use a more detailed setting for a trigger you could use a scene to make this happen.

Example if the eve app will allow you to set a scene based off of a light bulb being set at say 25% during a certain time frame, then you could create an automation that would set a scene of the ball being 100% yes the lightbulb was set to 25% during certain times of the day.

That might work. Maybe. Let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited:

malizivko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
When you turn on the power to them you want them to turn on at a certain % if it’s during a certain time frame. But you are basically always turning them on and off based in you turning the light switch on and off?

If the latter then the automation you are using is never going to work. That’s for the first option not the second. I’ll have to ponder if there is a way to create an automation like you are after. It may only be able to do that in the bulb app. It’s not technically an automation, it’s more a conditional situation.

Yes, I am trying to do 2nd option. I would like them to have certain %, during selection time frame.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I have never been good with shortcuts.....nothing I have tried has ever worked....but that will be my fault for not doing it correctly.

A motion sensor would be a doddle to do exactly what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.