Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Okay moving to university in September, need an iMac

Right now I'm looking at the low end 15"...

Should I wait till closer to sept?

Does apple ever make out of the blue annoucements for updates?

What to do...

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Check the buyer's guide. I always wait as long as possible anyway, just in case. I have a friend who was burned really bad by just going ahead and buying.
By the way, why no ibook or pbook? Just wondering.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
yeah, I'm waiting (much like many others) for the aluminum pBooks

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
Holly Molly! that was one neat link, I have been here for some time, and never knew that even existed

totally cool presentation

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Hmmm... now that you've brought it to my attention, an iBook doesn't sound bad in comparison other than 20 GB less, G3 instead of G4, and a 12" instead of 15", less ram... Portability is nice...

Hard decision... I mean same resolution...

It's the 1024x768 that kills me, I'd love 1280x1024...

That's why I'm holding off.

But yeah an iBook is sounding good considering how simillar it is, plus portability. I really don't know what to do now.

What would you get? iMac or iBook?

I do photoshopping, programming, among other things (save web browsing for my PC, the internet on anything other than IE6 for windows just feels wrong, don't know why but whatever).

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
If I were you...

...I would go for the 12 PB. You get the G4 (for Photoshop) and you get the portability. However, if cost is a issue, you might be out of luck. Check out the resellers for the best price, not Apple.

If you can't go with the PB, go for the iBook. I got to play with one the other day and they are just great. I don't see a huge difference compared to the 17 PB in normal computing tasks (i.e., opening folders, snappiness, iApps, writing email, Word, Internet, etc.); however, in PS and video it's a night and day comparison.

The iMac is nice, but in college portability is key (IMO). You could take the 12 PB or iBook anywhere...the coffee shops (lot's of chicks there), the classroom, and the library. It's total freedom. And remember wireless. College campuses most certainly have WiFi these days...

Think total freedom with the PB and iBook...

Hope this helped...

Chad4Mac

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
If you want a 15" iMac, why not go for the eMac? Yes I know it is a CRT, but it's 17" and its a very nice flat display. For less then the cost of the 15" iMac, you will get better performance with a 1Ghz processor vs. an 800Mhz. Also the eMac has a 133Mhz bus, compared to the 15" iMac's, 100Mhz bus. Both have combo drives I believe and the same size hard drive. It just seems like you get more for your money with eMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.