Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Any suggestions for a rowing app that also tracks heart rate? Getting back to indoor rowing on my Concept 2.

thunderstorm

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
England, UK
The built-in workout app on the watch already does this ? just select “Rowing Machine” before you start and it’ll track time, active calories, total calories and your heart rate. It even gives an average heart rate for the session.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
The built-in workout app on the watch already does this ? just select “Rowing Machine” before you start and it’ll track time, active calories, total calories and your heart rate. It even gives an average heart rate for the session.
Does it also track stroke rate? And distance rowed?

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
No it doesn't. I just us the rowing machine itself for all the other info I need.
Thanks for chiming in! Still hooping there is an app that can do this. Want to see this data long term on my iPhone or iPad.

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
I use the workout app on my AW for time and HR, but on my iPhone I have the C2 erg data app that connects with the C2 monitor and can sync workouts with workout time, meters, average split and stroke/HR rates. For getting the HR in the erg data app you will need to use a strap though. Some of the data can also sync with the activity app.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Isn't there a Concept 2 app? I'm not certain if it ties to the Apple Watch, or is even any good, but rowing is the kind of thing where you can set your phone on the ground or in a pocket without much trouble.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I use the workout app on my AW for time and HR, but on my iPhone I have the C2 erg data app that connects with the C2 monitor and can sync workouts with workout time, meters, average split and stroke/HR rates. For getting the HR in the erg data app you will need to use a strap though. Some of the data can also sync with the activity app.

The issue with the erg data app is that it only writes your heart rate average in 5 minute intervals. So, when you go to look at the workout data, it doesn’t actually show you a heart rate plot - just a few readings.

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
The issue with the erg data app is that it only writes your heart rate average in 5 minute intervals. So, when you go to look at the workout data, it doesn’t actually show you a heart rate plot - just a few readings.

As mentioned, that is why I do both: have the AW for HR and the erg data app for the erg data. ;)

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Checkout the app “WorkoutDoors.” Excellent app. @cfc The developer is an active member here.

Reactions: cfc

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Checkout the app “WorkoutDoors.” Excellent app. @cfc The developer is an active member here.

Any chance it will track hr and erg data? Would rather have the data in one place. And would prefer constant hr data not just snapshots

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Any chance it will track hr and erg data? Would rather have the data in one place. And would prefer constant hr data not just snapshots
I believe the developer would be better suited to answer your questions in regards to rowing. I don’t use the rowing aspect and don’t want to risk giving bad information in an attempt to help. Look for a reply from him in the next day or so. He is usually pretty prompt in answering questions. I alerted him to your post. @cfc

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I believe the developer would be better suited to answer your questions in regards to rowing. I don’t use the rowing aspect and don’t want to risk giving bad information in an attempt to help. Look for a reply from him in the next day or so. He is usually pretty prompt in answering questions. I alerted him to your post. @cfc
Thanks! Looking forward to @cfc reply!

LegacyUser12

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2016
Excellent thread and we have a rowing machine---would really like to check these recommendations out. OP please pass on feedback :)

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
Thanks! Looking forward to @cfc reply!

WorkOutDoors will track the HR with frequent updates (usually about every 10 seconds) but does not track power data.

It no longer tracks rowing strokes since the watchOS pedometer stopped tracking them a while back.

I hope that helps. Thanks for considering the app!

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Grabbing the Apple Watch hopefully next week if there is a new one. Still trying to find an app that will track heart rate and ERG data in one place.

Any rowers out there that have found a solution?

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
In the same boat... after waiting many months I finally got my Concept2 Model D and was shocked that it cannot read HR from the watch or at least from the Health App (if given permission). If you try to use both apps, ergdata and workouts via the watch, you get duplicate workouts.

I was really hoping for a simple app that would allow me to hook up to an ipad or tv and "race" against my previous best times, sadly this doesn't seem to be available either.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
In the same boat... after waiting many months I finally got my Concept2 Model D and was shocked that it cannot read HR from the watch or at least from the Health App (if given permission). If you try to use both apps, ergdata and workouts via the watch, you get duplicate workouts.

I was really hoping for a simple app that would allow me to hook up to an ipad or tv and "race" against my previous best times, sadly this doesn't seem to be available either.
This might solve some of the problem with duplicate workouts, haven't tried it:

Still hoping there is an app out there to pull ERG and heart rate data together!!

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
What I am doing in the short term was suggested above, use the AW to track the workout and HR while using ErgData to track things from a rowing standpoint, works well but should be easily integratable.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
What I am doing in the short term was suggested above, use the AW to track the workout and HR while using ErgData to track things from a rowing standpoint, works well but should be easily integratable.
Does the hack to eliminate duplicate workouts work?

Special-Ed

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
There’s an app called Liverowing. It connects to the PM5 on a Concept2 machine and has a companion Apple Watch app that feeds your heart rate data to the main app on the phone. It’ll upload your workouts to the C2 logbook and Strava as well. There is a paid portion if you want to download or create your own structured workouts, but if you want to just hop on the machine and do your own thing the paid membership isn’t necessary.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
There’s an app called Liverowing. It connects to the PM5 on a Concept2 machine and has a companion Apple Watch app that feeds your heart rate data to the main app on the phone. It’ll upload your workouts to the C2 logbook and Strava as well. There is a paid portion if you want to download or create your own structured workouts, but if you want to just hop on the machine and do your own thing the paid membership isn’t necessary.
So it shows heart rate data and rowing data on one screen? Can you share a screenshot?

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I really just want an app that links to the PM5, allows output to an ipad or tv that allows me to visually "race" against either a pace boat, my last time or my best time, etc. Anyone here know of one that does this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.