Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
I'm trying to install Windows XP Home to my Mac Pro, through Boot Camp 1.1.1. I'm using a 160 GB drive as the partition (just to simplify keeping it separate from OSX), formatted NTFS. Twice, it's gotten all the way to the part where it seems to boot Windows for the first time and then starts installing all its drivers, which it claims is a 39-minute process. About 3 minutes in, the screen goes blue with white text, claiming that there's a hardware error. It gives the message

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

At the bottom, it gives a "dump" of

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000010, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8051AA58)

I have unplugged everything except the USB Pro Keyboard. The mouse is also unplugged. I cannot get past this stage. The 160 GB drive is in Bay 2. The optical drive is the Pioneer 111D. I've run Hardware Test on the machine twice with no problems reported. I only have the original 1 GB of RAM that came with the machine.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Wait, I think I figured it out. It's a legit OEM install disk with a product key and everything, but it only has Service Pack 1a. (What the hell is a service pack anyway?) Am I screwed? Is there a way to buy Service Pack 2 without having to buy a whole new install disk?

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
You can download SP2 from Microsoft's website and use something like nLite to combine your CD with the service pack to make a bootable CD that you can use to install XP (a process known as slip streaming).

The downside is that you need to use a PC to do this. As an alternative, you could try Parallels but it doesn't even boot on my Mac Pro.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Glen Quagmire said:
The downside is that you need to use a PC to do this. As an alternative, you could try Parallels but it doesn't even boot on my Mac Pro.
FWIW I've also managed to get most of the way there in DarWine, I was foiled by the fact that my only SP1a disc was from a Dell.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.