Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kerizuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
hi I was trying to help my aunt with late 2009 MacBook. She got from ubid website listed as a refurb. Anyway she couldn't make any changes because last admin never cleared password. I did some research and took me into single mode with black and white screen. Had me do some sbin fsck -fy stuff among other things and now no matter what I do I can't get past apple gray screen with logo spinning. I don't have recovery disc. Please help otherwise I may need to buy my aunt a new computer!!! Thank you in advance

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
hi I was trying to help my aunt with late 2009 MacBook. She got from ubid website listed as a refurb. Anyway she couldn't make any changes because last admin never cleared password. I did some research and took me into single mode with black and white screen. Had me do some sbin fsck -fy stuff among other things and now no matter what I do I can't get past apple gray screen with logo spinning. I don't have recovery disc. Please help otherwise I may need to buy my aunt a new computer!!! Thank you in advance

Force the machine to boot off the recovery partition - hold Cmd-R while machine boots. Then erase main partition from Disk Utility and reinstall clean OS X.

If for some reason you can't boot into Recovery - make a bootable USB stick with latest OS X and do the same thing.

Kerizuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Force the machine to boot off the recovery partition - hold Cmd-R while machine boots. Then erase main partition from Disk Utility and reinstall clean OS X.

If for some reason you can't boot into Recovery - make a bootable USB stick with latest OS X and do the same thing.

Can't boot into recovery or safe mode. How would I make usb stick? Computer didn't come with any software

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.