Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
Someone sent me this :

Project name-Detection of covid 19 using chest X-ray images using graph convolution networks
Dataset-33500 covid chest X-ray images
Training and testing accuracy calculated in 16gb MacBook Pro with Gpu which has taken around 8-10hrs to get it executed for 100 n 300 epochs
Now same code has to run for 500 epochs so looking for high performance machine so that execution can be finished in 1 hr

How do I get him more GPU ? AWS ?

Code is in Python.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Someone sent me this :

Code is in Python.
despite how amazing and efficient apple silicon gpu in the top tier m2 ultra, it still no match for even last gen nvidia 3000 series gpu.

you would need to ditch the apple ecosystem in order to get what you asking for.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Forgive the obvious, but have them double-check they are actually using the GPU -- I've seen quite a few cases where people have installed the standard Python tools and just assumed it was using the AS's GPU. You have to make sure you have the right libraries installed.

Beyond that, check out Paperspace. In fact, they have a nice price comparison tool of the various GPU hosting services:
https://www.paperspace.com/gpu-cloud-comparison

For quick and easy, you can fire up colab.google.com and purchase GPU units on an ad hoc basis.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
In addition to all the above (make sure the code actually is using the GPU), do you know what model MacBook Pro the example is from? For all we know, it could be an Intel machine with integrated GPU from 2015.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
"In addition to all the above (make sure the code actually is using the GPU)" - Is there a way to verify this ?

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Someone sent me this :

Code is in Python.

LambdaLabs is the best bet between cost effectiveness and ease of use. You can do 8xv100 for $4.40 an hour.

Would probably do your 8 hour job in 10 minutes or so, possibly a lot less since you didn't specify which MBP. AWS is workable as well but will be 2-5x the cost depending on what solution you pick.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
This reads like a student task. They should be able to get some free credits for MS Azure. Spin up a powerful Windows machine there to run the program, then remove it from the account once done.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Unfortunately, no eGPU support for Apple Silicon machines as of yet. Probably better to get a Windows machine with a GPU and remote into it like a server anyway, freeing the MacBook from participating.
Yep... Did not know OP had ARM.
I'm running an M2 16" and heavy lifting goes here:
IMG_1443.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: poorcody
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.