Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think a major problem at this point for people transitioning into the Intel era is that PPC Macs just aren't going to have the resale value they used to have. Back in those days you could upgrade a 1-2 year old machine by selling on eBay an really not losing more than a few hundred bucks. Today, especially with the hype about the new Intel iMacs and MacBook Pros being so many times faster (true or not), the value of PPC macs is gonna drop quickly.

I'm not an expert, but I think if you can stand to sell your iMac now, whether that means getting a new mac now or later, I think you should. It won't be going for 1200 frosties soon. And don't buy another PPC. If you must wait and see how the new Intels turn out. If good, buy now. Otherwise, wait til the next revision. I know computers aren't investments, but it is nice when they hold their value well, as Macs are typically fantastic at.

EDIT: oh well, too slow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.