Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloydNCPPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2024
Greetings!

I have an older Power Mac 8600/200 and have several SCSI drives with old photos on them. They are stored in such a way that I can't open them up in Photoshop on my newer MacBookPro using stand-alone Photoshop CS 4.5. Although I have a auxiliary CD read/write unit, I can't find a driver to copy them to a CD. I installed a new motherboard battery, and have ADB keyboards and a trackball, but I am also looking for a DB-15 to VGA adapter so I can fire this Mac up again and see what I am working with.

I picked up a slightly newer Power Mac G4 3.5/M8493 and it has 4 PCI slots but i can't quite figure out what sort of PCI SCSI card I should get for it.
IMG_3684.jpg

Looks like three batches of pins - 32-11-49 adding up to 97 pins total. Mac Tracker says I have 4 - 64-bit 33 MHz PCI bays, and 1 - 4x AGP - but no mention of the total number or the configuration of the pins.

Looking on e-bay isn't much help as the none of the pin configurations seem to match what I have in the computer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Was wondering if any of the forum readers have any ideas what PCI card I should get?

And if this doesn't work, am wondering if it might be worth it to get one of those SATA/ATA to USB drive readers and just copy the data from the older hard drives onto a USB thumbdrive? The PowerMac G4 has USB ports and I can open up and access USB thumbdrives on this machine.

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
Slots are PCI64. Suitable adapter - Adaptec 29160. PC version requires chip with fimware replacement & reflash (can be done in OS922 firmware upgrade). USB ports AFAIK are USB1.1, it'll take eternity to copy something really big to copy.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I have an older Power Mac 8600/200 and have several SCSI drives with old photos on them.
[...] am wondering if it might be worth it to get one of those SATA/ATA to USB drive readers and just copy the data from the older hard drives onto a USB thumbdrive?
Those won’t work with SCSI HDDs. Adapters from FireWire or USB to SCSI exist but can be pricey. I've just had a look on eBay and the cheapest offer is $185. The most expensive is $650.

Last edited:

FloydNCPPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2024
Those won’t work with SCSI HDDs. Adapters from FireWire or USB to SCSI exist but can be pricey. I've just had a look on eBay and the cheapest offer is $185. The most expensive is $650.
I was referring to those ATA adapters to get stuff off the ATA drives inside of the older PPC 8600/200 Mac. I want to get the SCSI PCI card but can't figure out what exact pin configuration I need for the PCI card - can you help out with that?

FloydNCPPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2024
Slots are PCI64. Suitable adapter - Adaptec 29160. PC version requires chip with fimware replacement & reflash (can be done in OS922 firmware upgrade). USB ports AFAIK are USB1.1, it'll take eternity to copy something really big to copy.
Thanks for the tip. Wondering about the extra pins closest to the SCSI ports - my board only takes three sets of pins - this card has 4.

Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 11.28.45 AM.png

In theory I could copy via USB - but at same time the newer PPC G4 has a built in DVD burner.

I know I have an older copy of Photoshop that will process the older photos I scanned on a SCSI scanner and saved at Max resolution - my newer MBP with a newer version of stand alone photoshop won't open those files. So I need to get them to the newer PPC G4 where I can either burn them to a CD or DVD or port them to a USB drive. I have waited over 10 years to do this - so waiting for a slow USB transfer is no big deal. They are old family photos that I scanned nearly 30 years ago.

FloydNCPPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2024
how do I get a Mac version?

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
Try search your local second hand stores \ web sites? AFAIK Apple branded card was called Adaptec PowerDomain 29160. You can try official firmware upgrades from adaptec\microsemi site (I've downloaded them m.b. around 3-4 month ago). Despite my card is PC version, flasher detected it, but couldn;t complete flash because of smaller (by half) PC EEPROM chip size. And it need to be done in Mac Os 9, AFAIK Classic mode of Tiger & Leopard didn't works.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I picked up a slightly newer Power Mac G4 3.5/M8493 and it has 4 PCI slots but i can't quite figure out what sort of PCI SCSI card I should get for it.
PowerMac3,5 - M8493 is Apple Power Macintosh G4 867 (Quicksilver). It as 33 MHz 64-bit PCI slots.
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_867_qs.html

The slots of the G4 appear to be 5V 64-bit PCI Slots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect
The slots can accept 5V cards and Universal (3.3V & 5V) cards. The cards will run at 5V. The slots can accept 32 bit and 64 bit cards.

Thanks for the tip. Wondering about the extra pins closest to the SCSI ports - my board only takes three sets of pins - this card has 4.
That card is a Universal (3.3V & 5V) 64-bit card. So it should work if it's a Mac version.

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
"One more thing" ©®
The card shown above have low profile bracket, better to find another or ask seller about standard sized.
So it should work if it's a Mac version.
It WILL work, even if it isn't Mac version :D. But... in Linux :D. (Tested such card in Canister, Debian detects it at startup without problem). I wanted to connect IBM\Panasonic DVD-RAM drive, which can use cartridge disks. Project on-hold now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.