Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kathsr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
Maryland
Hi all,
I need a new printer. I have an old MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.6. I have light duty needs and want to use AirPrint on my iPhone and iPad. Any ideas?

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I got this one from Apple a while back and love it. It is for light duty but really works well and is easy to set up and maintain.

HP ENVY Photo 7164 All-in-One Printer (about $160)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For a B&W laser, I'd recommend Brother. Great printers, they just keep going and going.

I have no experience with Brother color lasers.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
For light duty especially, I'd choose laser over inkjet.

I don't know if current inkjets have gotten any better, but laser toner powder doesn't dry out, clog printer heads, or get consumed in cleaning cycles like ink does.

Brother monochrome lasers have always been solid, and have good Mac software support. Catalina has brought an EOL to some of it that is 32-bit only and won't be updated, but with HS, that shouldn't be an issue.

Current BF sales have a basic duplexing laser for $40. Hard to beat that.

The AIOs frequently go on sale for $80-100.

My Brother AIO I originally bought as a floor display unit is more than ten years old, and going strong. I wish it had duplexing, but can't justify replacing it just for that one feature. I also dislike how Brother finally succumbed to chipping their toner cartridges, but there are ways around it.

Reactions: colodane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.