Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igorpreston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm considering to buy a brand new MBP 15 inch. However I have some questions regarding the models.

So I am a software engineer who's coding a lot. Right now I'm using top of the line iMac 5K 27 inch 2017 at home (i7 4.2Ghz, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro 580) bought in June 2018 recently as I was working remotely for half a year and saw that as a good opportunity to buy very powerful desktop. I do all intensive work on it, like video / photo editing (I am currently into making videos on youtube), heavy projects code compiling, playing games (I was really amazed it handled StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 at 60+ FPS easily for me, also my GF plays Sims 4 on it as well).

Prior to that I was working in the office and I had MBP 13 inch 2015 MF840 model (i5 / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD), which the company gave me and I was only using that one for coding, meetings etc, I didn't even use the external monitor in the office, I really liked small factor and portability and speed. Laughed when other guys who had 2016+ models had to connect a lot of external adapters to insert USB stick or connect external monitor. But anyway I didn't use ports that much at all, I was just using the laptop to code and talk in meeting calls. I really love to use laptops without external monitor, be it 13 inch or 15 inch. So whatever, that little 13 inch MBP from 2015 was a perfect machine for me, was very happy about it.

However right now it's time to get out of my house for doing work, since I just got a new job with a requirement to work at the office. I since I don't plan taking my iMac out of house and transporting it to the office (I've been considering that but landed on the decision it should be a home machine), I need a new laptop (I don't have any right now, since that MBP 13 inch was taken away back by the company, when I left it last April).

So here's the deal, I am considering to buy either brand new models from 2015 or 2018, which are available in stock in the local stock.

2015 15 inch:

MJLU2 - i7 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Radeon R9 M370X, Intel Iris Pro 5200
Z0RG00001 - i7 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SDD, Intel Iris Pro 5200

As you can see the difference is in dedicated GPU, plus the second model is 2017 with macOS High Sierra installed, while the first one has older macOS installed.

I am considering buying this model, because I am very unhappy with new butterfly keyboard feel and since I am a software engineer, who's typing all day with a keyboard, it's very important to me. I'll be taking this new laptop to the office daily and working from there. However I wonder how are heat issues on these models with both dGPU and iGPU? I wouldn't want it to get too hot, that's uncomfortable for me, because when I used MBP 13 inch 2015 it wasn't getting hot while I was coding, web browsing and watching youtube. Those are not really intensive tasks.

Also considering to buy new MBP 15 2018:

i7 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Radeon Pro 560X ($2760-2780)
or
i9 / 32GB RAM / 1TB SDD, Radeon Pro 560X ($4850-5100)

Money isn't really an issue to me, however both 2015 and 2018 cost more than in the US, since I am in another country which doesn't have official Apple Store (Ukraine), and we're getting Apple hardware from resellers which buy in the US and then deliver it to their local stores in Ukraine.

The best deal seems like (i7 2.6 / 16RAM / 512SDD / 560X), since it costs less than 2015 and hardware is newer. However 2015 has better keyboard to me, hands down, I used 2016 / 2017 models and couldn't stand it. I might consider buying Magic Keyboard + Magic Trackpad to use in conjunction with 2018 MBP when in the office, but that neglects my love for using exclusively laptop without any other external devices, since we have really great terrace on the roof and I plan working there time to time. Plus it seems like MBP 2018 gets really hot (do base models and 13 inch models also get hot?), that's an issue for me.

What would you do in my place? What can you advise on what I need to buy? I would really appreciate any replies, since I've been reading these forums for like past 3 weeks along with Reddit, exploring all the issues with new MBPs (throttling, kernel panicks, speakers crackling). I just want to buy a machine and forget about it while I'm using it, like my current iMac which has NO ISSUES at all, and I had no issues with MBP 13 inch 2015. I'd consider advise on buying any 13 inch as well (2015 / 2018).

Important factors to consider in no particular order:
1. Battery.
2. Portability.
3. No heating during common work (coding / web browsing / youtube watching).
4. Power (gonna get into Java development in upcoming years, which is heavier from what I'm doing right now in terms of coding).
5. Good keyboard (defining "good" as 2015 or magic keyboard).

I'm even considering to buy both 13 and 15 inch at the same time, since all those factors seem not to fit into one laptop. So yeah, any advice on any buying combination will be very helpful.

I'd love Apple to take 2015 design + insert newer hardware into it lol. But that won't happen. So I need to make choice soon anyway.

Last edited:

PhilMacbook

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2018
Britain
My advice is get brutally honest and clear with what you want and then buy that. Nobody else knows what you want more than you do and, as you describe, you like some of the 2015 design and some of the new design. It's about compromise and only you can decide.

Last edited:

igorpreston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
My advice is get brutally honest and clear with what you want and then buy that. Nobody else knows what you want more than you do and, as you describe, you like some of the 2015 design and some of the new design. It's about compromise and only you can decide.
Yeah that's true. I understand it's all about tradeoffs. Just want to hear others opinion about what they'd do in a similar situation. Obviously, 2015 keyboard is better to me, but 2018 has more powerful hardware and better portability and form factor. It all comes down to a trade off in the end, you're right.

Why are you paying for your own computer to use at the office?
This new company only gives you Mac Mini at most, which isn't option for me. However, they pay very high salaries in terms of Ukraine standards, which justifies buying your own machine and it won't have any effect on your wallet considering low-cost living standards in the country. Plus developers change jobs often in Ukraine switching between companies opting for more salary, since the market here is VERY competitive, so having your own machine you can take to another place is nice.

Reactions: macintoshmac

AnotherSoftwareEngineer

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2018
Yeah that's true. I understand it's all about tradeoffs. Just want to hear others opinion about what they'd do in a similar situation. Obviously, 2015 keyboard is better to me, but 2018 has more powerful hardware and better portability and form factor. It all comes down to a trade off in the end, you're right.

This new company only gives you Mac Mini at most, which isn't option for me. However, they pay very high salaries in terms of Ukraine standards, which justifies buying your own machine and it won't have any effect on your wallet considering low-cost living standards in the country. Plus developers change jobs often in Ukraine switching between companies opting for more salary, since the market here is VERY competitive, so having your own machine you can take to another place is nice.

Okay. I don't have a clue how the laws work in Ukraine, so if using a personal computer at the office doesn't open the doors to your company owning every side project and other piece of code you write using that laptop then whatever.

As far as buying a 2015 model... don't be an idiot and buy a 3 year old computer. Don't listen to idiots on the internet falling on their sword because they hate the new keyboard and port situation. It's not that bad. I've been using a 2016 MBP since it was released. Get a dock, get a nice external monitor, move on with your life. It's a single cable setup in most cases.

igorpreston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
Okay. I don't have a clue how the laws work in Ukraine, so if using a personal computer at the office doesn't open the doors to your company owning every side project and other piece of code you write using that laptop then whatever.

As far as buying a 2015 model... don't be an idiot and buy a 3 year old computer. Don't listen to idiots on the internet falling on their sword because they hate the new keyboard and port situation. It's not that bad. I've been using a 2016 MBP since it was released. Get a dock, get a nice external monitor, move on with your life. It's a single cable setup in most cases.

Yeah, laws allow that and we sign contract which states that the company doesn't own any side projects you do on your machine.

Regarding 3 year old computer - that's very logical, I was thinking like that as well. The only thing that might be stopping me is mostly fear of new and unknown as well as issues with 2018 models spreading all over the web (throttling, overheating, kernel panicks, speakers crackling), if there would be no issues, I think I'd go with i9 / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD, since I just want this machine in a "just works" fashion to do my job, not thinking and dealing with the issues. Buying iMac wasn't also an easy decision for me, since I've never used iMacs before and I was worried if its price is justified. In the end I am verry happy with that buying decision. I wasn't buying 2015 / 2017 model, cuz I was specifically waiting for the 2018 model release with i9 and 32GB RAM and fixed keyboard, so I bought iMac instead in June. Then new MBP was released and I was very excited about it, however the idea of a lot of issues around with it kills that excitement, so that's why I am wondering if I should buy it.

AnotherSoftwareEngineer

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2018
Obviously there's no guarantee that your new MBP won't have issues, but remember; the web is an echo chamber where the vocal minority often distort the reality of things.

Maybe my attitude would be different if I had gotten a defective keyboard or something, but this one has been great :p Also FWIW, I find the new keyboards to be better than the old ones. Different at first, but then you go back to an old one after a few weeks and it feels mushy and unpleasant and the keys are noticeably smaller.

bobbie424242

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2015
If you do not absolutely need a macbook, you could look into the new Thinkpad X1 Extreme for a very upgradable machine (+ a 1050TI for gaming).
Otherwise, and if you do not need more than 16GB, you may want to go with the 2015 macbook.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I manage development on desktop and mobile platforms for our company and do a little bit of coding myself - iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, cloud. We make heavy use of virtual machines plus BootCamp for hardware attachment testing. This means I need performance (often multiple VMs are loaded) and massive disk space.
I also privately dabble with photos and hope to get some time in on the Pro Apps - Logic Pro X and Final Cut.
My main system is a fully configured and upgraded Mac Pro cMP - 48GB of Ram, 3.06Ghz dual 6 core Xeon (12 cores,) large amounts of SSD and spinning disks (never enough,) and an upgraded graphics card with 38in curved monitor. I use this all day. I love this machine. It does all I want and is very responsive.

My new and fully configured MacBook Pro 2018 (i9, 32GB of RAM, 4TB SSD) is the first laptop that can fully replace the cMP for my work tasks without slow down.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Regarding heat, all of these machines are getting hot if you use software that pushes the CPU/GOU hard. It will get warmish if connected to external monitor due to external display triggering the GPU. Other then that, they run rather cool in everyday operation.

And yes, as others have said, there is not much we can do to help you with your choice. Personally, the 2018 machines are so much more computer for money to me. I can’t imagine going back to the pre 2016 model with its wobbly keys.

inksane

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2018
Why are you paying for your own computer to use at the office?

Not all tech/big companies give computers that are worth using.
I work in a Big4 and the computer provided is garbage and full of bloatware that's why I bought a macbook pro. They even forbid us to bring our own devices (which I do anyway), I can't understand it.

Reactions: vddobrev

biopig

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Sorry I didn't read thru. But I do suggest MBP 13" with upgraded CPU (up to i7 2.7GHz), memory (up to 16GB) and storage (up to 2TB), plus Blackmagic eGPU and LG UltraFine 5K Display, and your favorite keyboard. In this way, you can enjoy the lightweight of 13" MacBook Pro when you are carrying it, and the stunning performance of external display when you are at home. All thanks to the super fast Thunderbolt 3 ports.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
So whatever, that little 13 inch MBP from 2015 was a perfect machine for me, was very happy about it.

Based on your comments, it looks like you loved the 2015 13", so why don't you get that? I am a software engineer myself, and my company provides a ****** laptop, so I buy my own hardware to work on. Currently I have a MacPro 2013 and a MacBook Pro 2015 13" i5 16GB 512GB and I do not have any need to upgrade it to any of the later models. The laptop does all that I need it to do, and I do see the need for dongles with the later models as a big disadvantage.

Ask yourself this - what is it that you can't do with a 2015 13" model for your job work? Perhaps the newer model will compile code a bit faster, but it lacks standard ports, etc. You get the idea...

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
It is not clear to me whether you've tried the new 3rd generation butterfly keyboards on the MBPs. Some have said it feels the same as the previous generations, but to me it feels much better, perhaps as good as (if not better than, in some cases), the 2015 keyboards. Based on your comments, I really think this is the gating factor for you and really only you can decide how it feels.

If it feels good to you, get the 2018 by all means and you'll almost certainly be happier than getting the 2015 version. That's what I would do in your situation anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.