Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hello everyone, first post, been glued to this site for a while however,

Okay, I have been a PC guy my whole life, and am ready to switch for good i think. Now, I was dead set on my buying one of the new rumored intel ibooks that never were released( yet ). I am a poor colledge student, and $2000+ for new macbook pro plus some software is just insasne for me currently.

Thing is, I want a Mac NOW. So, Im thinking of getting one of the new iMacs( $1200 edu ). This would replace my desktop obviously, but I would still need a laptop eventually. If you were in my shoes, would it be worth it to get a new intel iMac and then in the not to distant future get a refurb g4 powerbook/ibook? Is that what you would do? Im not a too demanding user. I do enjoy gaming, but that part of my life is spirialing away. Im a biochemistry student.

Thanks alot!

-Paul

P.S. If I bought Office for students on the iMac which would currently obviously run in Rosetta, would their be a free upday by microsft when it goes univeral? this would be good since then I could use the same software on a g4.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
erkanasu said:
If you were in my shoes, would it be worth it to get a new intel iMac and then in the not to distant future get a refurb g4 powerbook/ibook? Is that what you would do? Im not a too demanding user. I do enjoy gaming, but that part of my life is spirialing away. Im a biochemistry student.
I have a Rev. B iMac G5 (the one right before they implemented iSights) and the current 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4.

A good number of other posters here on MR also have the same set up. If you really are not a 'demanding user' as you say, then an iMac (especially the MacIntel) should more than suffice.

I love using desktops, but sometimes you're on the go (esp. if you're taking notes in class). That's what my iBook's for. ;) I would most definitely recommend getting an iMac (PPC or Intel is your choice) and then waiting to get a refurb older iBook; or even the current one from Amazon (free shipping, no sales tax), or using (if you qualify) an edu discount via Apple.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I fall under the cash starved college student category as well. I bought my 17" 2 Ghz iMac G5 Rev. B in June of 2005 with $200 off in discounts.

I'm going to hold out until there's enough software for the new Intel platform though. I'd either like an new iBook or a iMac.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
erkanasu said:
P.S. If I bought Office for students on the iMac which would currently obviously run in Rosetta, would their be a free upday by microsft when it goes univeral? this would be good since then I could use the same software on a g4.

You'd have to ask MS as this is up to the individual software company. My gut feeling is no. I think they will release the Universal version as the next major office release.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
robbieduncan said:
You'd have to ask MS as this is up to the individual software company. My gut feeling is no. I think they will release the Universal version as the next major office release.
I second that motion. Hence my apprehension in buying Macromedia/Adobe products at my student discount rates. I'm waiting for the next version to be universal. I can use it then on my iMac G5 and my new Intel Mac. Whenever that is.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Just got back from the apple store to check out the iMacs, i am really excited. Thanks alot guys for the input. A few more questions...

Firstly, anyone know of a place where you can get office for students cheaper than $150 like at the apple store?(im trying to get this setup absolutly cheap as possible, obviously).

Also, anyone know where could I find the lowest prices on refurb/new ibook 12" 1.33 Ghz G4s?

Anything else I should know before I take the plunge? Thanks!

-paul

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Until Jan 31 Apple has a rebate on Office. Go to the online Apple Store, click on Save (lower right) and then Promos. I don't know if they do this in the physical store though.

metanoia

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
danny_w said:
Until Jan 31 Apple has a rebate on Office. Go to the online Apple Store, click on Save (lower right) and then Promos. I don't know if they do this in the physical store though.

Works in the physical store (and online store, for that matter) as long as all items (office, mac, and printer, if you go for that rebate) are purchased on the same invoice. S&T edition has 3 licenses as long as they're in the same household so you might be able to split that with your roommates if they have mac as well. And if you're concerned about Office running on Rosetta then I'd consult the WWDC 2005 and Macworld 2006 keynote videos... they run just great on intel machines through rosetta.
-metanoia

ninepoundjammer

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
don't buy a new ibook

I'd only buy an ibook or G4 powerbook if I got a great deal on it. The new iMacs will be nice but the intel laptops are going to be a big step up in performance.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
ninepoundjammer said:
I'd only buy an ibook or G4 powerbook if I got a great deal on it. The new iMacs will be nice but the intel laptops are going to be a big step up in performance.

yeah, but what about this logic. First off, the new intel notebook macs wont be any faster than the new iMac (at least in the next 6 months). If I get a new intel iMac, that would be great foreverything demanding. Now, If I was able to get a 12" ibook G4 used in a few months for lets say ~$700, that would be enough computer for internet,email,word processing,music, etc. I could play games and more intensive stuff at home.

From what devolit said, that is actually the setup most people have on here.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
erkanasu said:
Okay, I have been a PC guy my whole life, and am ready to switch for good i think. Now, I was dead set on my buying one of the new rumored intel ibooks that never were released( yet ). I am a poor colledge student, and $2000+ for new macbook pro plus some software is just insasne for me currently.

I hate to say this but I think the best thing you could do is keep waiting on the Intel iBooks (or whatever name they have). Reasons...

1) You're a student, you need a laptop to take notes in lectures.
2) You said you WANT a Mac now - you didn't say you NEED one. That's a big difference.

I'm sure if you wait you'll be glad you did and while if you plump for the iMac now even though you'll completely love it you will wish you had something mobile when the iBooks come out.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Eidorian said:
I second that motion. Hence my apprehension in buying Macromedia/Adobe products at my student discount rates. I'm waiting for the next version to be universal. I can use it then on my iMac G5 and my new Intel Mac. Whenever that is.

As a side note: I just graduated a couple years ago and picked up as much EDU software as I could get my hands on. Make sure that the software company offers you the ability to upgrade to a a full non EDU version at a later date.

I have went from
Adobe CS1 Premium (EDU) to Adobe CS2 Premium (Retail)
MS Office X (EDU) to MS Office Pro with virtual PC & XP Pro (Retail)

Studio MX (EDU) to Having to pay full price to get a full version of Studio 8 because Macromedia didn't not allow you to upgrade from an EDU version (maybe that will change with Adobe buying them out but who knows)

Sorry for the tangent.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
mustard said:
As a side note: I just graduated a couple years ago and picked up as much EDU software as I could get my hands on. Make sure that the software company offers you the ability to upgrade to a a full non EDU version at a later date.

I have went from
Adobe CS1 Premium (EDU) to Adobe CS2 Premium (Retail)
MS Office X (EDU) to MS Office Pro with virtual PC & XP Pro (Retail)

Studio MX (EDU) to Having to pay full price to get a full version of Studio 8 because Macromedia didn't not allow you to upgrade from an EDU version (maybe that will change with Adobe buying them out but who knows)

Sorry for the tangent.
No upgrading love on educational software. That's why I'm going to wait until I graduate in two years and swoop up all of the latest software then. It'll more than likely be ready for my new Intel Mac. I could get it now but I don't really have a use for it.

I have work and school. They tie up my creative time. I'm happy to have time to play with iLife for my own little projects. Garageband 3 might be enough to get me to make my own podcast. I'll play with it before I invest in .Mac.

Still, I love my G5. Hell, I love my Power Mac G3 even more. I'm a big fan of vintage computing. Even though I love the razor edge of technology. For just web browsing I'd rather do it on my clunker Blue and White over my spiffy 2.0 Ghz G5.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Curious,

When do you think one would be able to find a 12" ibook G4 1.33 for ~ $700.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Eidorian said:
No upgrading love on educational software. That's why I'm going to wait until I graduate in two years and swoop up all of the latest software then. It'll more than likely be ready for my new Intel Mac. I could get it now but I don't really have a use for it.

I have work and school. They tie up my creative time. I'm happy to have time to play with iLife for my own little projects. Garageband 3 might be enough to get me to make my own podcast. I'll play with it before I invest in .Mac.

Still, I love my G5. Hell, I love my Power Mac G3 even more. I'm a big fan of vintage computing. Even though I love the razor edge of technology. For just web browsing I'd rather do it on my clunker Blue and White over my spiffy 2.0 Ghz G5.

Sorry I should have clarified a little more - Adobe and Microsoft both consider EDU software eligible for software updates, while Macromedia didn't.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
okay guys, just had another idea, maybee a dumb one.

Do you think I would be better off either having

intel iMac with slow g4 ibook 1.33

or

MacBook Pro

Reason im bringing this up is, i already have ~$1500. If I sell my PC desktop, that should set me off at about the right amount. This is sort of complicated, becasue as most people know, the macbook pro's may or may not be all that stable as rev A models. ALSO, 15.4" may be too big to lug around, then again, it will be a desktop replacement and only weighs 5.6lbs.

Sorry for draging this thread on, I REALLY appriciate all of your feedback. Ive learned soo much on these forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
mustard said:
Sorry I should have clarified a little more - Adobe and Microsoft both consider EDU software eligible for software updates, while Macromedia didn't.
Well Macromedia is part of Adobe now. I was going to get Studio 2004 MX but Adobe might put out a better bundle.

Thanks for that tip on Adobe and MS though.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I don't use a laptop much anymore so I think I will just hold on to my Powerbook until it won't run at this point unless I get into a different place in life where I really need a laptop.

I am thinking about getting rid of my iMac G5 though and getting one of the new Intel ones. Speed is not an issue for me, this iMac G5 1.8Ghz is more then fast enough to do what i want it to do. The issue for me is 1) resale will dramatically fall over this next year on any PPC model and 2) Since Apple is switching everything over so soon I would consider their timeline for supporting PowerPC products has also been shortened. 10.5 will probably be the last OS that is supported on PowerPC's. I am guessing by iLife '07 many key features will require an Intel processor to run.

The reason why this will happen is because Apple now has the power under the hood to add a lot of things to the OS and to iLife. Things that will take Intel power to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.