Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
My contribution

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 102

one3

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
How about this one ... simple:

mixlife.gif

** you guys (gals) have to remember a logo that is good must be easily usable in many formats and applications ... shadows, reflections and all the 'effects' are quite restrictive and not recomended. Just look at the logos of any major company and you'll see that 99% of the time it's clean and simple.

one3

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
ChrisWB said:
Neat. Do you do freelance work?

Yes, I do freelance work. I do a bit of print design, some branding/identity design and quite a fair share of website design. (mostly dictated by client needs rather than choice - although I must say I do enjoy website design quite a bit).

one3

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
one3's logo is very nice, but I also think cgratti is on the right track: Simple logos that will work in a range of uses. I like. :)

I agree - cgratti's logos for sure have great potential. I like them.

onthat

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
If you integrate the exclamation point into the logo, it should replace the "i" in "mix"...not in "life" The word "mix" is generally related to spontaneity!

I think your idea is pretty creative, please don't use an apple in your logo though. I think variations of the original apple logo are completely lame...yes that includes the one for this forum.

...however, if you incorporate the elypsis in some way, that'd be quite fine.

mac.FINN

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
no, no no no.

Okay no more submissions. one3 got it right. It's simple, uses contemporary colours (only 2 yay!), nice typface, and (most important) is appropriate! The intertwining stems of the x says mix! And thank god there's no drop shadow/ reflection/castshadow/outerglow/anyothercrapthatisuselessanddefeatsthe
pursposeofalogo!

Great job one3 good to see there's actually some real designers helping out here.

:D

one3

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
Just a few thoughts on logo design from my experience:

1. keep it simple - old but true - if you are going to play with the individual letters of the logo - just do it with one! don't try and make every second letter unique. you should have one focal point and leave it at that.

2. colors - before deciding on colors think about the logo's use. If it will be printed remember the more colors you have the more expensive it is to print. pick a couple of colors - make sure they complement each other. and don't forget - print colors (CMYK or Pantone) and different than web colors (RGB, HEX). Lastly don't forget the 'meaning' of colors -- make sure they match the 'brand' you are trying to achieve.

3. don't forget the logo's use - make sure it works well for web, print, ____ - take all that into consideration. make sure it work well on a light and a dark background. this is where shaddows and other effects can get you into trouble. make the logo as flexible as possible and in some cases create alternate layouts / versions of the logo for specific applications.

4. vector - my suggestion is to always create the logo in vector format (ex: Illustrator). a vector logo is completely scalable and easier to alter. It's also what you'll need in most cases if you use it in print. you can always take vector logos into raster (Photoshop for example) easily, but not vice versa.

5. did I mention 'keep it simple' ? :)

and just overall ... think of what the logo represents, what it says, make sure it represents the product / website / etc well - and don't get caught up with Photoshop filters, effects etc... You'll find that most professional designers don't use Photoshop effects at all (and if they need a certain effect they often create it by hand) ... it's the design that's key not the cool effects. :)

Hope this helps (... and please feel free to add your own suggestions)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
I do a lot of artwork that's based on logos but I would like to make a few points about that.

1. When you add embellishments to a logo it ceases to be a true logo. It's more like an artwork based on a logo.

2. In all cases without a single exception the artwork I do from logos is based on a graphic black and white logo done in Illustrator. If the logo does not stand up in it's pure graphic form and communicate, all the embellishments will not help it. I have been asked at times to embellish a existing weak logo, in those cases I always ask if I can redesign the logo first. Even if they say no I will take upon myself to redesign it as an alternate.

3. My own logo is unembellished and I did that on purpose. It was graphically reduced to the simplest form I could make it. The idea I'm trying to communicate is that my work is rooted in graphic design, not effects. Sure, some of you may disagree. :)

4. Mixlife is a nice title, I have a sense that there are a lot of ideas (without effects) that have not been touched yet. I do like one3s x, that's an idea. Try writing the ideas as words first. Yes, that is a way of designing, believe it or not.

My 2¢.:)

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I like one3's logo the best also. The other artwork looks great too. I can see why some are too complicated for logos, but they are definitely pleasing to the eye.

I like color logos like the dreamworks one, but I think that logo is specifically used for the beginning of films.

mac.FINN

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
just wanted to add one thing about one3's logo... the x looks like a double helix (DNA) thus meaning mix...and life.... oooOOooo deep.

one3 said:
it's the design that's key not the cool effects. :)

I should organize my thoughts all at once... :eek:

anyway, I couldn't agree more. Cool effects are for amateurs and designers who really truly understand how to use them as part of a design - not AS the design. Even at that, not in logos. Logos should be able to be reduced to a simple image (or word) that conveys complex meaning.

okay - no more posts from me for a while :D

onthat

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
...just wondering here, but did Skoker ask for opinions...or for someone else to do his work for him? Just thought I'd ask/remind some of you guys.

From a sheerly graphic perspective, I don't like the woven x design.
However, it does stand for "shuffle" and therefore fits with "mix."
My contribution is that you stay with the original idea, the word "mix" is self-explanatory and the exclamation point provides excitement and spontaneity. If you use the exclamation point, replace the "i" in "mix".

more importantly, when will the site be up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.