Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thizisweird

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So I've had a very fun experience this last month with mice ? and I sadly have only a couple days to act (return policy nonsense)

I bought a Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE, and while it was the best thing I've ever played with... the internal memory completely died in 17 days. Not too enthusiastic about that, and it's very discouraging to me, thus leading my away from Corsair mice in general.

I'm now in possession of the Razer Basilisk Ultimate, and I've never used a better mouse in my life... but there's no Mac software for the friggin thing! WHY?!

Currently debating returning the Basilisk (it'll likely kill me), and either getting the Logitech G502 or Apple's Magic Trackpad 2. I've used the first gen trackpad for FCPX use, and I genuinely loved it; however, I'm debating my actual need for this.

I'll be pairing this new mouse/trackpad with my 2020 MacBook Pro (base model), and my main uses for a mouse are surrounding video editing and audio production. I'm wondering if the Magic Trackpad will actually yield any real benefit to me, as I do have a lot of functionality from the trackpad on my MBP. I know the G502 has a DPI-shift button, just like the Basilisk Ultimate, and that'll be a huge benefit for certain things... but am I the only person who will find that almost 100% necessary? I think that's the big thing holding me to a traditional mouse of any sort (I've never had a better experience than with that one button).

I do think a Magic Trackpad would be a perfect addition, though. Considering I have the iPad 6 gen, and I'm planning on upgrading that soon (likely by selling my 2015 MBA and the 6 gen iPad), and the fact that I'd like to make my iPad an alternative to using my laptop (it's been quite amazing for most daily tasks with the Pencil and the A1644), I am almost convinced it's the best option for me.

I'm just looking for some direction, and obviously any other viewpoints that I haven't yet considered. I would normally rush this if there was a Space Grey trackpad available, but the places I can buy one have none in stock ? there goes my color scheme ?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tell me to pound sand?

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
If you really like the hardware, download a third-party driver like SteerMouse or USB Overdrive, take advantage of the free trial period, and see if it meets your needs.

Given the (poor) quality of Mac drivers those hardware companies provide, even when they do deign to provide Mac support, one might be better off not using them.

Even the PC guys who have read the EULA/TOS Razer attaches to their software find reasons to avoid it. Being forced to register an account, agree to terms, and even see nags about it on your computer just to use a driver? Personally, I'd have to think twice about supporting a company like that, despite however much love I might have for the hardware.

thizisweird

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think you're glossing over something I neglected to mention… I enjoy using the OEM software, and I have no problem working around certain things (like disabling notifications, or making an account). I've yet to find any of that a true bother. If I don't like the ToS/EULA at some point, I'd be happy to ditch the OEM software… but they do offer things I tend to prefer to 3rd party software… like monitoring internal temps with the built-in LEDs (which my Corsair did beautifully).

I'm going to play around with those two drivers you mentioned, and I'll see what else comes my way in the meantime. In all honesty, though, I'm leaning towards going with the Magic Trackpad 2 for the obvious crossover with the iPad… but that's a hard sell for me just yet

thizisweird

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Just to toss this out there, I just tried to use both SteerMouse and USB Overdrive with my Basilisk. Neither of them are even somewhat ideal for my uses. I need to program certain parts of the mouse itself (which requires Synapse) like the DPI levels you can switch through, the DPI shift, and even the scroll wheel button (center button). All of these are ignored with the aforementioned software, and are manipulated with the Synapse 3 driver. Some of this stuff is loaded onto the mouse via a profile, which was especially the case with the Corsair mouse I returned; I could set up a lot of stuff for just bluetooth uses, probably 10x what's available via SteerMouse (which blows USB Overdrive clear out of the water when using the Basilisk Ultimate).

Any other drivers that might work, please mention them here. Just playing with the Basilisk makes me cringe to think about returning it… but I'll do whatever is best in the long term!

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020
G502 is my favourite mouse, you won't regret it!

Razer mice ARE good, but they use their own custom microswitches in them, and they have a high failure rate. On my gaming PC, every Razer mouse I used would start to fail at about 12-18 months. I switched to Logitech and have never had a failure.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I'm now in possession of the Razer Basilisk Ultimate, and I've never used a better mouse in my life... but there's no Mac software for the friggin thing!"

Download "SteerMouse" and try it:

It may be "all you need"...

thizisweird

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
G502 is my favourite mouse, you won't regret it!

Razer mice ARE good, but they use their own custom microswitches in them, and they have a high failure rate. On my gaming PC, every Razer mouse I used would start to fail at about 12-18 months. I switched to Logitech and have never had a failure.

I honestly would surprised to get a year out of a high performance mouse, like a Razer; just the territory with "cutting edge" stuff in the gaming world (that's my take). I'm ok with that, and I'm not really ok with that. As for the G502, I remember my ancient Logitech VX Nano as a decent baseline for my expected Logitech mouse lifespan. That thing was the best wireless mouse I ever touched until it completely crapped out. Loved the tiny footprint (I have child's hands), and it never was a problem for any reason. Then one day it just started dying… well past 5 years in age.

Definitely leaning heavily towards the G502 because of my history with Logitech in general, but also because I do want all those buttons and functionality. Will it be completely worth it over the functionality of a Magic Trackpad though? That I must have answered lol. I know, it's entirely subjective, but if someone has input on the Magic Trackpad vs the MBP's built in trackpad, that'd be wonderful. For now, I have the G502 sitting in my shopping cart for a return swap out

"I'm now in possession of the Razer Basilisk Ultimate, and I've never used a better mouse in my life... but there's no Mac software for the friggin thing!"

Download "SteerMouse" and try it:

It may be "all you need"...
I think you glossed over my previous post….
Just to toss this out there, I just tried to use both SteerMouse and USB Overdrive with my Basilisk. Neither of them are even somewhat ideal for my uses. I need to program certain parts of the mouse itself (which requires Synapse) like the DPI levels you can switch through, the DPI shift, and even the scroll wheel button (center button). All of these are ignored with the aforementioned software, and are manipulated with the Synapse 3 driver. Some of this stuff is loaded onto the mouse via a profile, which was especially the case with the Corsair mouse I returned; I could set up a lot of stuff for just bluetooth uses, probably 10x what's available via SteerMouse (which blows USB Overdrive clear out of the water when using the Basilisk Ultimate).
I tried what I could, and the driver failed my efficacy test. It just isn't very powerful when compared to the OEM software. It's great, but it's just a generic driver for simple functionality, and is not intended for more advanced configurations or even profile creation for onboard storage on the mouse… which is why I want proper OEM software… as I've previously explained….

thizisweird

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Minor change of plans… I've added BOTH the Magic Trackpad 2 and the G502 mouse to my cart… I have the credit available, I have a new job offer lined up, and if everything backfires financially I at least have hardware that I won't feel horrible about owning…. Thoughts? lol

I'm giving this until roughly 11:30p GMT-7 time before I pull the trigger. Why? Because my credit card company may change their mind on allowing me to make the purchase, considering I'm on a payment relief program this month (pandemic, remember? lol), and I'd like to not miss out on going into further debt ?‍♂️ plus, the Basilisk needs to be returned tomorrow at the latest……… so yeah.

Any/all input is greatly appreciated before committing to further ruining my life with electronics purchases! ?

EDIT: I have placed the order, and I'm planning on returning the Basilisk… just not sure I will be able to do so given my current travel restrictions and such lol. As for input on the aforementioned situation, I'm still interested in any fixes I might be able to utilize for future mice purchases. Please feel free to still contribute!

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
One last word on Razer -- Ooops. Sometimes. it's just too easy.

Mistakes can be made. Taking three weeks to acknowledge and fix them?

The term "bag of hurt" comes to mind.

thizisweird

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Considering the number of massive failures in proper security from companies like Facebook, Steam, and Facebook again; the poor security measures implemented on a "smart safe" made by Brinks; or the horrible security measures taken for ADS-B (this is regarding air traffic control and airplane instrument stuff; also, here's the pdf of the slides), the absurd capabilities of CreepyDOL with basic data transmission security issues (not much unlike the current TikTok problem in the news); or even what people can do with simple social engineering… I think I could make a solid case for just about anyone to avoid practically everything in our highly digitized world.

And don't get me started with the Google dorking that can lead you to unsecured webcams, and even credit card numbers stored in the clear. Or just to toss it out for fun here… the extremely simple, and easy to coverup in the short-term, mass scanning of the internet, which can yield some mind-blowing results of poor security practices that you'll never see much media coverage of.

I could honestly keep going, but even I'm a bit tired of all this linking and remembering this crap from the last few years lol. And that's putting aside my pre-determined sleep deprivation ?‍♂️ but I think we can all see where I'm going here lol.

TL;DR version- watch those video links if you want some far worse examples of bad security. Personally, I think it'll put the whole data leak problems that Razer has had into a bit of perspective. Cyber security, all throughout the world, is pretty much an oxymoron itself. There's almost no such thing. And typically, it really comes down to a handful of things: the "just ship it" mentality, complete oversight, outdated practices, or simple negligence. Usually, there's little else involved in basic security flopping epically.

In the future, should I want a Razer mouse, I'll take my chances. Just like spending money online, or doing practically anything on public WiFi, there's always going to be substantial risks involved with electronic communications in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.