Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Hello everyone.
Long story short, my usb-c enabled monitor has some issue and now the usb-c port doesn’t work and I can’t connect the iPad (or the MacBook Pro or a window laptop) to it using a single cable.
Tried new cable, reboot, firmware update and so and still nothing.
Managed to connect my devices with a usb-c to hdmi cable and it works. However, while I can use and still charge the computers while connected to the monitor, I can’t seem to find a way to do it when using the iPad.
Is there any dongle/adapter that I can use to connect my iPad to my monitor with that usb-c to hdmi cable and still charge the iPad? All the dongles I find only have one usb-c port that can be used for charging. I’d like one with a usb-c port out (instead of hdmi out). Any ideas?

Also… anyone with issues with their lg monitor usb-c port?

Thanks

Last edited:

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
You don't want to use an HDMI-HDMI cable and appropriate dongle or hub with your iPad? I know it's a pain switching cables out.

It's a tough one -

https://www.reddit.com/r/SamsungDex/comments/hxz1bh
Thanks for the hint.
I know I could use the hdmi but the thing is that…as I using the usb-c—>hdmi (from laptop to monitor), I’d like to use that same came between devices. I gather that I’d have to use some adapter with the iPad so I can also charge it, but I’d like something with a usb-c output.
Guess I’ll have to lower my expectations lol
Thank you again

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
As for the Apple dongle. Is it worth over cheaper Amazon versions?

There are a lot of good hubs available - e.g., Anker - but for the particular adapter I would stick with the pricey Apple product; a lot of people have had issues with 3rd party knockoffs. I prefer the hub approach as for equivalent prices you can get more functionality. I have the Apple adapter but never use it - I use my Anker hub.

Reactions: dexterie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.