Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Ok So I have a total of 4 computers, 3 PCS and one Ibook.
I have cable through charter communications, broadband.

I have connected the base station to the cable modem using the wan port. I then plugged PC1 into the airport base statons ethernet port. PC1 has an additional nic Card which plugs into a Dlink 4 port hub.

PC1, PC2, and PC3 can all connect and surf the net with no problems. Ibook on the other hand can not, it gives me server errors, won't let me use the airport setup wizard etc. It sees the airport base station and the airport network which I named apple. The basestation gives it an IP but I can't surf the net on the ibook. Im at my wits end with this thing, its 2:15am and I have work tommrow so I can't mess with it anymore but any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Im also planning to get a wirless dlink pci card for PC2(with the ultimate goal of having them all wireless), and was hoping it would just catch the basestation and allow me to connect but the way things are going I don't see that happening.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
is the ibook plugged into the hub or does it have an airport card?

if you haven't done so, unplug all those PCs and try getting the ibook to work w/ the simple setup. once it does, then plug everything back in.

hard to know if it's an ibook/base station problem or if the hub and PCs are mucking it up.

divide and conquer!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
if this is airport extreme this is normal. i get this, its been pretty f***ed up. first i would upgrade all software. install 3.1 software and 5.1 firmware.reset the base station and start over. i had this problem and unplugged all cables from the base staion besides power. set it up and then plugged back in the cables. try it out and then let us know.

iJon

demonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Hi thanks for the replies, the notebook has a wireless card in it.

I tried a simple setup. Cable modem into wan port, and the notebook still wouldn't connect to the net. "server not found errors"

Funny thing is if I plug the cable modem into PC1, then hook the airport basestation into the dlink hub via the ethernet port everything works fine. But im trying to avoid having to leave PC1 on all the time for the other computers to be able to surf the net.

I reset the base station and still no luck. Im mainly trying to save myself the expense of having to by a D-link wirless router or something.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by demonx
Hi thanks for the replies, the notebook has a wireless card in it.

I tried a simple setup. Cable modem into wan port, and the notebook still wouldn't connect to the net. "server not found errors"

Funny thing is if I plug the cable modem into PC1, then hook the airport basestation into the dlink hub via the ethernet port everything works fine. But im trying to avoid having to leave PC1 on all the time for the other computers to be able to surf the net.

I reset the base station and still no luck. Im mainly trying to save myself the expense of having to by a D-link wirless router or something.
have you tried plugging your cable modem in the wan port, and plug your hu b into the lan port, then plug all your computers into the hub,thats how mine is set up.

iJon

demonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Hi No I have not tried this setup yet, but will later today when I get off from work.

But would this really affect the fact the notebook can't access the net through the base station?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by demonx
Hi No I have not tried this setup yet, but will later today when I get off from work.

But would this really affect the fact the notebook can't access the net through the base station?
you never know with some things, im just throwing out ideas. these things are so hard to assess over the internet, just like a phone. its one of those things that you just gotta be there.

iJon

demonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Gotcha, I will mess with it some more when I get home. Got a D-link wireless nic for my upstairs PC so will try that out also.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by iJon
have you tried plugging your cable modem in the wan port, and plug your hu b into the lan port, then plug all your computers

-demonx

This is the proper way to set your LAN up, and the way the AirPort is designed to run.

I recommend you plug all of your machines - including the iBook into the hub, and that to the LAN port.

Configure your Airport through the wire first. This is the most secure method, and most reliable. You don't want to keep battleing interference while configuing. Oh, please be sure to activate WEP (encryption).

This way you can make sure all of your setups update to the Base.

I assume you have NAT and DHCP running in the Airport. If not, and you intend to use the AirPort as your router - you need to check that radio button.

Once done, test your connection by going wireless with the iBook.

Let us know how this works, and we'll be waiting.

demonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Tried that still didn't work, nor could the d-link wireless PCI card connect to base station either. Think Im just going to have to pick a D-link wireless router and try that over the airport base station.

Funny think is seems one of my neighbors has a Linksys wirless connection and the ibook will jump onto that just fine.:rolleyes:

demonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Well picked up a Dlink wireless router today, couple of "wizard" screens later everything is running perfectly. No clue why the base station was giving me so much trouble.

Guess I'll put it up on Ebay, but thanks for all the help none the less.:)

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
damn....

I was hoping someone had an answer to this. I just got one for my girlfriend and I'm having the same problem. The airport (extreme) is hooked to the cable modem via the WAN port, then both my power book and her ibook can see the netwrok, connect to the network but both cannot surf the internet. I've updated everything to 10.2.6, airport 3.1 and fireware 5.2 (or 5.1, I dunno, it's late.....)

Any solutions?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
damn....

I was hoping someone had an answer to this. I just got one for my girlfriend and I'm having the same problem. The airport (extreme) is hooked to the cable modem via the WAN port, then both my power book and her ibook can see the netwrok, connect to the network but both cannot surf the internet. I've updated everything to 10.2.6, airport 3.1 and fireware 5.2 (or 5.1, I dunno, it's late.....)

Any solutions?

-DreaminDirector

Are your machines grabbing IP addresses?

That's not as simple as it sounds, in those machines, you have several network devices with their very own MAC addresses. It is possible you have the "Built-in Ethernet" trying to grab an IP, but not the "Airport".

-Go to your "Network" Pref, in the "Show" drop-down, choose your order of config.

-Make sure your "Location" drop-down is set to "Automatic".

-Then in the "Show" drop-down, select "AirPort" then the "TCP/IP" tab.

-Then select "Using DHCP" from the "Configure" drop-down.

I have attatched to my Quicksilver a 100baseT hub I use only for FolderSynch, and the Ethernet tries to grab an IP even though it's not connected to anything. But the AirPort grabs one just fine.

demonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
damn....

Any solutions?

If you still can't get it working, I recommend picking up a d-link wireless router, and returning the base station. Proably will be easier to setup, and you will save some cash.:)

I fiddled with the base station for like 3 days straight and never got everything working the way I wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.