Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dollarbillz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Hey Guys,

So i live in canada and wanting to purchase apple tv i know we get access to rentals now but i am just wondering i just got back from the states a week ago and brought back gift cards with me ive been using the american store forever.

Now i have $150 in american giftcards on my itunes account so if i bought appletv and logged into my account can i use these credits?

I heard if u have an american account on apple tv only way to rent or get movies is through an actual credit card!

is this true?

Thanks

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
so hd rentals can be done with the credit i already have? and if i ever wanted to add more i would have to do it through my comptuer not ATV right?

as i understand (and please don't flame me 'cause i only got my APTV yesterday), detailed transactions are done in the computer. if you have credit in ur account, it will be used.

i just don't know about american credits. considering that there's a conversion involved, i would think u can only use US$ credit on a US account.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
It is getting a bit confusing. - At least for me.

I understand you have an american account already? If yes, you can redeem your US gift cards on that account.
If not, you can create a US account just by using these gift cards - whithout having to have a US credit card.

You CANNOT use your US gift cards for a Canadian iTunes account.

dollarbillz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
It is getting a bit confusing. - At least for me.

I understand you have an american account already? If yes, you can redeem your US gift cards on that account.
If not, you can create a US account just by using these gift cards - whithout having to have a US credit card.

You CANNOT use your US gift cards for a Canadian iTunes account.

Sorry i should be more clear i have 2 accounts

1 CDN
1 US

my cdn one is hooked up to my cc and such i use that for music mainly

My us one is giftcards only becuase i want TV and MOVIES! but what ive been told is if u have giftcards u cant purchase rentals and movies from APPLETV itself only from itunes on ur computer

So i got one with american giftcards and an american address which i will use for apple tv to rent movies buy movies and tv shows

and the cdn one for music

i just want to make sure i can buy movies and tv from appletv on the fly with the remote with giftcards on the account some say u need a cc to do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.