Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaitlin4599

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
United States
so i ordered a carrier unlocked iphone 6s should be here in a week or two and i have a few questions

#1 assuming its on ios 9 which ios should i update it to this is my first phone since the 3GS?
#2 is it safe to leave the phone plugged in overnight to charge it? if not how long should i leave it on the charger dont want to ruin the battery
#3 since this is my first iphone since the 3GS is there anything else you think i should know

just looking for some helpful info since this is my first ihpone since the iphone 3G

below are pix showing which one i bought

Attachments

• Screenshot (53).png
    Screenshot (53).png
    527.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot (54).png
    Screenshot (54).png
    254.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot (55).png
    Screenshot (55).png
    283.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot (56).png
    Screenshot (56).png
    287.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot (57).png
    Screenshot (57).png
    330.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot (58).png
    Screenshot (58).png
    331 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot (59).png
    Screenshot (59).png
    194.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot (60).png
    Screenshot (60).png
    315.4 KB · Views: 62

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The 6S was first released in 2015. If that's NOS (new old stock) then the battery could conceivably be 5 years old and not happy. Maybe it's a newer model.
Depending on when it was packed in its box, it could have other versions of iOS on it besides iOS 9. If it has iOS 9 on it, you have to upgade it via iTunes on your computer. It can't be upgraded wirelessly. And if you upgrade it (recommended) it'll be upgraded to the current version of iOS 13. You can choose anything else.

If it's on iOS 9, if I were you, don't even play with it when you get it. Directly update it to iOS 13. If you play with it for long on iOS 9, you'll get a feel for how fast it is. Then when you install iOS 13 you'll discover how slow it instantly got - and it'll bum you out. So just update to iOS 13 right away

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
so i ordered a carrier unlocked iphone 6s should be here in a week or two and i have a few questions

#1 assuming its on ios 9 which ios should i update it to this is my first phone since the 3GS?
#2 is it safe to leave the phone plugged in overnight to charge it? if not how long should i leave it on the charger dont want to ruin the battery
#3 since this is my first iphone since the 3GS is there anything else you think i should know

just looking for some helpful info since this is my first ihpone since the iphone 3G

below are pix showing which one i bought
1. It won't be on iOS 9. That was almost five years ago. Unless, as has been mentioned, it's a really old phone. In which case then the battery issues mentioned in your other thread would be a concern here. Realistically, it's more recently manufactured and Apple updates iOS as production goes along. That said, if it were on iOS9 you'd probably have to update anyway. As a means to combat jailbreaking, Apple currently prevents activation of iOS 9 on the 6s and 6s+.

2. Sure, it's safe. I've left my devices plugged in overnight serving as nightstand clocks and alarms (with the screen on all night) since 2009. No biggie.

3. iOS is very different now. You are probably going to be back here asking more questions.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I left my old 6s on charge every night for four and a half years with no issues.

Best to update and get used to iOS 13, and then eventually iOS 14 if the rumours are true and they support it.

The 6s is still a fantastic phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.