Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I'm not sure how to make this happen... maybe someone here has an idea?

I need the screen filled with a puzzle made of 7 puzzle pieces. (screen is standard 720x480 DV). Each puzzle piece needs to be on a seperate layer and be big enough to contain a small picture and a couple descriptive words.

Any ideas on how to get this done? I'm not great at drawing puzzle pieces and making them all fit.

Thanks

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
cwright said:

I need the screen filled with a puzzle made of 7 puzzle pieces. (screen is standard 720x480 DV). Each puzzle piece needs to be on a seperate layer and be big enough to contain a small picture and a couple descriptive words.

Any ideas on how to get this done? I'm not great at drawing puzzle pieces and making them all fit.

Thanks

If you have a vector drawing pakage, like Illustrator, it would be much easier on there because you need to draw shapes. Photoshop's vector capabilities are not so good (but I dunno about CS2). You can do it in Illy and export to separate layers and modify in Photoshop from thre... but it sounds like Photoshop is not the tool for your job.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Yeah, I second the notion to use Illustrator if you've got it. Working with bendable lines and the pathfinder can get the job done a whole heck of a lot faster than trying to do it with photoshop--frankly I'm not even sure if it can be done in that program without an additional 15-20 steps.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Yea I've got Illustrator too, so I'll give it a shot. I guess I just need to make one piece that can be repeated in all directions.

I'll see if I can find a picture of a puzzle to trace and see if I can get some good looking results.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
cwright said:

I need the screen filled with a puzzle made of 7 puzzle pieces. (screen is standard 720x480 DV). Each puzzle piece needs to be on a separate layer and be big enough to contain a small picture and a couple descriptive words.

Thanks

I drew a sample given the dimensions you specified (720p x 480p @ 300 ppi)
then using the pencil tool (1 pixel width default black) freehand drew the page in half horizontally (trying to make it look like a puzzle swirl) then I freehand drew the top half into 4 individual areas the same way, followed by the bottom half into thirds. I then went back and took a few seconds to refine the shapes until satisfied with the "pieces" (so far no vector tool here). This is all on the base layer. I then used the wand to select one of the pieces and used the copy selection to a new layer (cmnd+J) so I would have a copy of the layer with just that piece on it and making it a selection and saving it. Then place a photo (drag and drop) onto the layer and positioned and scaled it to the size I wanted and after reloading the selection and choosing the "inverse" I deleted everything outside the selection and had my first puzzle piece done. Repeat the above and play with it until satisfied and there you go. ;) you will end up with 8 layers and once satisfied with your "Puzzle" just flatten the image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.