Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrClark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2003
Hi, I recently purchased a Power Mac Dual G4 1.25, Jaguar OS, 256mb RAM System. Unfortunately 256mb of RAM isn't much to run my photoshop 7 applications as keeping up with Jaguar's demands.

I am not sure on what kind of memory I should buy. I'd like to upgrade to about 1GB RAM. I have seen so many different types of RAM offered at different Hz's, etc... :confused:. Could someone guide me on what type of RAM I should purchase that would help deliver optimal performance for my applications? There are a wide array of brands out there, and I'm not sure on which competitor is good. Economical is great too, but I don't know if both can fall into the same sentence. :) Thank you for your time! :cool:

-MrClark

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i'd check out

http://www.otherworldcomputing.net

they generally have pretty good prices (not always best, but probably only 10 bucks or so more)... and it says exactly which machines the ram works with.

go there, click on memory, then choose the top memory type (ddr)... and then scroll down to the listing for your machine. they also have a lifetime warranty, and as far as i know, are of pretty good quality.

18004memory.com is also one i've used.

MrClark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2003
Hey thanks for your insight.... I will check it out. Sorry for being ignorant, but DDR RAM is the best type of memory to purchase? I've noticed speeds from ~100Hz-400Hz out... Also is PC DDR RAM ok for my dual G4? Thanks for the help.... and oh yes, jello shots do rule man!!!! :D

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Your mac needs DDR ram, which is the same type of memory used in pcs. Just be sure to get 333Mhz or faster ram (400Mhz ram doesn't make any speed difference but will still work in your computer). It might also be a good idea to get name brand ram so that you're less likely to get wierd memory problems.

Hope that helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.