Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I updated my MBP to Catalina before I updated my iPhone and now I can’t update my iPhone. I connect it and I see it in Finder but clicking on it just shows basic info on top and it said loading on bottom with an active loading indicator but then nothing happens and nothing shows up, just the Finder window doesn’t work and I have to close it.

Is there another way to update my iPhone? Xcode perhaps??

I really could use any help.

Thanks.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Are you saying after a few reboots your iPhone showed up in Finder?

Did you have the same issue as me where it wasn’t showing up or locking up finder too? I feel like everyone else just said it wasn’t showing as a location and mine showed as a location, just finder seemed to freeze after a bit.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
How did you install it from Xcode? I ALWAYS forget the steps in there.

I only installed Xcode. Opened it up and created a NEW project..provided minimal info to do it until I saw my XR mentioned at the top of the Xcode screen. That's it. I then just option + update through itunes and pointed to the IPSW. you don't need to update MacOS. I don't know why some people are posting that online.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Forgive me if this is annoying but how did you update your iPhone from this screen? I just don’t see that as an option.

Attachments

• C5C3D16E-7CD1-4000-BC9C-3693BF2537B2.jpeg
    C5C3D16E-7CD1-4000-BC9C-3693BF2537B2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 290

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Forgive me if this is annoying but how did you update your iPhone from this screen? I just don’t see that as an option.
You don’t update from there. You Option-click ‘Check for Update’ in Finder on your device. Try restarting your Mac if your iPhone isn’t appearing in your Finder sidebar.

I updated my iPad to 13 from Catalina last night without issue. It took quite a while to load the device info the first time I plugged it in.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Never mind once I installed Xcode and I went back into iTunes and did the update process it went right through no problem. Weird that it didn’t work the first time without Xcode.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Never mind once I installed Xcode and I went back into iTunes and did the update process it went right through no problem. Weird that it didn’t work the first time without Xcode.
Says in the update notes that it requires Xcode 11 or macOS 10.15. Not entirely sure why, but this build seems more ‘beta’ than usual considering that there’s no OTA option yet, so it’s perhaps not surprising. I would assume that this requirement will be dropped for beta 2, or for the Public Beta at the very latest.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I’ve been a member of the developer group for years now and maybe I’m getting old but the first beta of a new iOS was always a restore image and then it was OTA after that.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I’ve been a member of the developer group for years now and maybe I’m getting old but the first beta of a new iOS was always a restore image and then it was OTA after that.
Ah you could be right, I’m not sure. I usually sit out the first betas on iOS as I don’t have a spare device for testing my apps, so usually jump in at beta 3 or 4 and just deal with any bugs on my main iPhone.

Had a feeling there weren’t these installation requirements for iOS 12b1 last year but to be honest I don’t remember.

jwatters579

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2015
I am having a serious issue as well. I installed Catalina and it will show my device in Finder, will load as if gathering information then blank screen. At one point last night, I got the following error message: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 1119). After three restarts this morning, still blank.

Reactions: funeralweather

czecho7

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I am having a serious issue as well. I installed Catalina and it will show my device in Finder, will load as if gathering information then blank screen. At one point last night, I got the following error message: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 1119). After three restarts this morning, still blank.

Same issue here, I've been getting that same error message when Finder tries to load my iPhone and iPad info. I guess for now I'll just keep restarting until it hopefully works.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey

I had the same EXACT problem. I had to resort to installing Mojave on a spare external hard drive and then using that to update my iPhone.

jwatters579

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2015
I had the same EXACT problem. I had to resort to installing Mojave on a spare external hard drive and then using that to update my iPhone.
I'm having a feeling that would be last resort as well. Once you did that, what did you have to do to get things done for the iOS to be on the phone?

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Download the restore file, install Xcode 11 beta, then use iTunes from Mojave and option + update and use the restore file. Without Xcode you’ll just get error messages from iTunes.

Reactions: Armen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.