Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nirav464

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hey guys, I just got my invisibleSHIELD back part and I need some tips on installing it on my iPhone 3G.

From my research so far, I found that windex helps the installation.

Please give me your personal tips that helped you install it almost perfectly. ANYTHING at all will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
1. Wash iPhone screen thoroughly. Use rubbing alcohol and a paper towel. Make sure there isn't any dust or lent on the screen.
2. Wash hands thoroughly.
3. Spray fingers with shield spray.
4. Spray iPhone screen with shield spray. The more, it's easier to align and less likely to have bubbles BUT the more likely it will get in your speaker, so be careful.
5. Remove shield from sheet. Avoid touching the sticky like the plague. Spray the sticky side with shield spray.
6. Make sure there isn't any dust or lent on the screen again, and place shield on iPhone screen. You get ONE chance at this, otherwise you'll end up with a lent phone. Align shield and spray the non-sticky side of the shield.
7. Squeegee the water out toward the sides. Use a clean, lent-free towel to collect the water that comes out.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PULL THE SHIELD UP TO REALIGN IT. YOU WILL GET LENT AND IT WILL LOOK LIKE CRAP.

If you want my advice for the back piece, follow the video on their website - it's exactly what I did and it worked fine. On the back, you can be more careless about dust because it's way harder to see. If you have a white iPhone, don't even worry about bubbles on the back - they're invisible.

nirav464

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I don't even plan on using the IS for the front, only the back (will be using the anti-glare for the front).

Thanks

Anyone else have personal tips for the back?

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
I don't even plan on using the IS for the front, only the back (will be using the anti-glare for the front).

Thanks

Anyone else have personal tips for the back?

1) have a dish of water (add a tiny amount of shampoo). The solution that they give you is about 20:1 ( baby shampoo to water) so I would only add a tiny drop of shampoo to the dish.

The reason the dish works well is that you want to keep your fingers wet, so that you don't accidently leave any fingerprints on the shield

2) Completely spray the shield ( more is better)

3) TAKE YOUR TIME

4) Use your squeegie only sparingly.

I found that using your thumbs to work out any extra bubbles/solution works better.

5) the corners are a bitch, there's no way around it

Take your time on the corners, use a palming technique, and constantly keep working on different corners. Eventually the glue will start to get sticky, and it will set the corners down

6) After you are done with the phone, put it inside the black plastic tray it came in ( when you purchased the phone) FOR 24 HOURS

You want the glue to settle completely, before you use it. I know not having a phone for a day sucks, but you want to avoid getting lint/dust under the shield before it dries completely

Good luck !

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
  • Allot tiiiiimmeee... a lot of it!
  • Be patient, especially at the corners
  • Careful with the sensors

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
- Go to an invisibleSHEILD store or kiosk
- Hand the employee your iPhone, sheild and $5
- Reward yourself with a nice Blizzard from Dairy Queen
- Maybe an Orange Julius instead
- If you are hungry, visit the food court
- Return 30 minutes later to a perfectly installed sheild
- Pat yourself on the back vigorously

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
- Go to an invisibleSHEILD store or kiosk
- Hand the employee your iPhone, sheild and $5
- Reward yourself with a nice Blizzard from Dairy Queen
- Maybe an Orange Julius instead
- If you are hungry, visit the food court
- Return 30 minutes later to a perfectly installed sheild
- Pat yourself on the back vigorously

Yeah because InvisibleShield kiosks are so common. Not really.

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
A friend of mine wasted all of the included spray trying to attach his. He then took a trick from automotive window tint and made his own spray with purified water and a small drop of organic dish soap. He said that solution worked 10X better than the included spray.

So, keep that in mind if you run out of spray or are having trouble.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
A friend of mine wasted all of the included spray trying to attach his. He then took a trick from automotive window tint and made his own spray with purified water and a small drop of organic dish soap. He said that solution worked 10X better than the included spray.

So, keep that in mind if you run out of spray or are having trouble.

There's enough spray in the bottle to install 10 full body shields.

nirav464

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
okay, what I don't understand is: Once of the camera part is aligned and the back piece is "Down",

do I then wait 5-10 minutes to stick the sides down?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I've done at least 20 installs. The invisible shield solution sucks, it doesn't allow for enough movement.

Make your own solution of clear dish soap or clear baby shampoo, a drop of that, in about a cup or more of cold water. Stir that mix. Don't let the water sit too long because dust may fall in it. Your best bet is to run the shower for 15 minutes and get your bathroom steamy, then apply it in there.

This makes the shield slippery enough to move around. The sides don't rush, just be patient as all hell. Like sometimes a full day and next day of being patient. Just baby sit the edges and corners etc and keep pressing down on any bubbles or corners that may come up and appear a bit white. At first it seems like the edges won't stick, but eventually they will.

Once I have everything in place and sticking good I wrap the phone in saran wrap REALLY tight for a few minutes.

nirav464

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I've done at least 20 installs. The invisible shield solution sucks, it doesn't allow for enough movement.

Make your own solution of clear dish soap or clear baby shampoo, a drop of that, in about a cup or more of cold water. Stir that mix. Don't let the water sit too long because dust may fall in it. Your best bet is to run the shower for 15 minutes and get your bathroom steamy, then apply it in there.

This makes the shield slippery enough to move around. The sides don't rush, just be patient as all hell. Like sometimes a full day and next day of being patient. Just baby sit the edges and corners etc and keep pressing down on any bubbles or corners that may come up and appear a bit white. At first it seems like the edges won't stick, but eventually they will.

Once I have everything in place and sticking good I wrap the phone in saran wrap REALLY tight for a few minutes.

so I basically, I dip the entire invisible shield back part into the solution and and then position it to line up with the camera.

Then do I wait? How long? Do I even touch the sides and edges when its wet?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Yup, dip the entire shield in, make SURE no parts of the shield fold or touch each other.

Then shake off the shield to get rid of extra fluid, apple the film and line it up, slowly squeege the excess water out, while you do this you will need to realign it now and then. As you get rid of the extra fluid, the shield will eventually stop moving, just make sure you focus on getting the water out while keeping the shield lined up.

DO NOT just rely on the camera for alignment, make sure the sides and buttom line up as well, the camera is round so the shield can look even around the hole but still be crooked on the phone, if that makes sense.

Once the back is lined up and stuck good, do a test on the side. Press it up, if it seems to fall right off, step away from the project for about 15-20 minutes and go back to it once the sides have dried up a bit. When the sides are ready they will stick. You can also speed things up a bit by lightly blowing the sides with a hair dryer for a few seconds here and there.

nirav464

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Once the back is lined up and stuck good, do a test on the side. Press it up, if it seems to fall right off, step away from the project for about 15-20 minutes and go back to it once the sides have dried up a bit. When the sides are ready they will stick. You can also speed things up a bit by lightly blowing the sides with a hair dryer for a few seconds here and there.

How long will it take the back to stick (minutes)? And also should I just leave the side flaps as is, until it is completely dry?

Thanks

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
the back is EXTREMELY challenging. to dry bout an hour to fully dry give it 2 to 3

nirav464

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
the back is EXTREMELY challenging. to dry bout an hour to fully dry give it 2 to 3

I meant before I try to stick the sides down. How long does it take for only "back" part to stick (excluding the sides).

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I meant before I try to stick the sides down. How long does it take for only "back" part to stick (excluding the sides).

if I understand what you are asking, when I did the back and the top side for alignment purposes. I waited about 10 minutes before attempting the sides.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Once you get the back aligned and push the water out with the squeege, the back will stick in about 10 minutes. The water underneath the shield is what keeps the shields ability to slide around, once you push that water out from both sides the sliding will stop.

So get it in place, squeeze out the water, then keep sliding it in place. At first once you start squeezing the water out the shield will move around a bit, this will stop once you start getting most of the solution out from under.

Then leave the side flaps alone for a bit, wait till they start feeling a little tacky and then begin trying to make them adhere to the sides of the phone. Don't panic if they aren't staying, it will take a while. How long? Depends, it's different for every install depending on ambient temps etc etc.

Just be prepared to baby sit that shield for the first day or so. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
thanks. thats what I meant :)

umm from the 5-7 shield I have installed

it takes about 30-50 minutes to install one completely, then you have to let it sit for about 24 hours

its tedious, but i'm a stickler for details, so I take my sweet time !

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I'm doing an Invisible Shield install tonight. Seriously the best way to apply this is once you get the corner flaps to just stick in place, use saran wrap for about 15 minutes and those things stick down perfectly. Without the saran wrap plan on tending to those flaps for some time.

The saran wrap really pushes the shield down and the results are perfect. You can use less saran wrap than I did. heh

Here are some pics:

3547000963_aefff7e22e.jpg

3547001013_afab389a12.jpg

3547809600_f0f9667682.jpg

After saran wrap:

3547809662_c6837fdabb.jpg

3547001107_4b7a22558b.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.