Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Hey everyone--

I'm running 10.3.7 on my Xserve, and I need the server to add a manual network route everytime it boots up. How do I accomplish this?

The command I'm entering manually in the terminal right now is:

sudo route add 10... 10.1.1.1

Or maybe this isn't something I need the Terminal to do? Help!

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
pigbat said:
How familiar are you with Unix?

I'm new to OS X and don't have a machine in front of me but here is a quick suggestion. Create a script to add the route and run it from /etc/rc during startup.

There may be a routing table somewhere that gets loaded on boot but I'm unaware of any. I haven't had an opportunity to play with routes much on mine yet.
Honestly I'm really not that familiar with Unix at all. I know a few commands. I don't even know how to make a script!

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
pigbat said:
Check out that tutorial and see if you're comfortable with it. Always make a copy of any file before you start playing with it. This gives you a quick recovery point.
I read through it and it's very confusing. They don't make as simpler way to do this? In Windows I could just create a .BAT file to run every time the computer starts up. (Actually in Windows I can add a persistent route from the command prompt!)

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
MattG said:
I read through it and it's very confusing. They don't make as simpler way to do this? In Windows I could just create a .BAT file to run every time the computer starts up. (Actually in Windows I can add a persistent route from the command prompt!)

Perhaps I shouldn't have jumped in here since I haven't been using OS X long. Is there a /etc/gateways file?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
just put the command into VI and save it and put it into your start up items

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.