Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axl69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
NYC-LA
I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM on my Powerbook TI and want to know if anyone could suggest what type of RAM to purchase. Also looking to buy an external hard drive but not sure of which brand to buy. Right now I'm leaning towards LaCie 250gb Porsche design. Maxtor looks nice but its quite a bit of weight to that thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I highly suggest getting everything from OWC. I bought the RAM for my 1ghz TiBook from them and it works perfectly, and if it doesnt, theres a lifetime warranty on it. I also own one of their hard drives. Its very fast, VERY quiet (fanless!!!) and reliable. Plus their drives come preloaded with Shareware/Freeware goodies and Apple Software updates. They are a great company and I highly recommend them for everything.

cmx08

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
DIY

I got my 512 from ebay and the type is unique. you can only get 1 type but it's like desktops, if you want to spend more for a higher quality, go for it, but I do not think that laptops will recognize the difference. if you can afford a 150Mhz instead of the std 133, it's your choice, but I think that apple's spec are enough.

if you like looks and don't mind the cost you should go with Lacie, I don't have them but for the look d2 looks cool and i heard that porsche is made of plastic unlike d2's aluminium.

d2 looks like it can open and change the HD, (don't know but i hope it can) and the porsche is a 1 body sealed.

if you don't mind the look and want something cheaper, DIY.

I made mine. I got a case that has F400 and USB2 of ebay and a maxtor 120 ata133 for 75$. and the case for around 40

if anyone has a d2 lor porsche from lacie, can you tell me if you can open it with ease and change the HD, if you have any link of the d2 and the porsche please post it.

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.