Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Phill Realgood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2021
Hey there. I need some help. I know very little about apple products, but I am extremely skilled with Windows based PCs. Anyways, here is my issue:

I have some a1418 2544 imacs that were bought from a college. College states they were working fine before they removed HDD and ram.
So, I get them home and plug 1 in. It beeps once every 5 seconds and the screen stays black. Ok, so I add a stick of ram and power it back on. No beep, its chimes but screen remains black. I open it up and find the screen is not connected. Ok. So I connect everything and power it back up. It chimes and the screen is white. Plain, solid white. No apple logo, no flashing folder, just white. I unhook the internal screen and connect to external screen. Same result. Solid white screen. The LEDs 1, 2 and 3 light up, the 4th does not.

I have only tried 1 stick of ram in 1 slot and I did connect a HDD, but same white screen result. I have not tried anything else.

I know nothing of apple, so any help would be much appreciated. I have tested 2 so far, but all the same results. Just a white screen (1 did not even chime, but same white screen) What could the issue be? The tech guy said they worked fine before they removed components. I have bought from these guys before with no issues, and even had a 2017 imac that works fine, although they did not remove anything from it.

Dr Phill Realgood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2021
Well, I guess I was not pressing the right key combination. I was able to get it figured out. They have firmware passwords, so that was making things more difficult. Anyways, I have it figured out now.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Dr Phill Realgood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2021
Did you get the firmware password unlocked eventually?
I am working on that. The guy I get them from said he would try to get the password from the IT guys. If not, he said I could bring them up there and they would remove it. So Ill get it off there one way or the other, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.