Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lrodk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I recently had to erase the HD on my iMac and do a complete restore from my external Time Machine drive. Luckily everything,including programs, were restored to where they were during the last backup. This mishap underscored the importance of having everything backed-up and made me truly appreciate Time Machine. As a result I'm considering adding Time Capsule as a secondary Time Machine drive(in addition to the G-drive I have connected via firewire),to act as a back-up to the back-up. I was wondering if I'd be able to do that if I install TC using the "Bridge to an existing network" option during setup. Would I be able to manage my backups by changing the volume in Time Machine's settings from TC to my G-Force HD, or vice versa? To be clear, i want two full back-up records on seperate drives at any given time. I am accustomed to doing my back-ups manually as I don't want my back-up HD running continuously or every hour or so as is suggested by Apple. My feeling is that my external HD will last longer by not being powered-on 24/7. Another reason why I like TC over simply getting a second external HD is because of the networking capability of TC. I get a very weak signal as it is in my basement and I'm hopeful this will improve streaming to my ps3 and iPhone when I'm downstairs. Cheers,Luis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.