Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverlakerCA

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2020
My partner prepares taxes and will need to have a PC (with two monitors) to run the tax prep software the company requires.

Last time we had a PC was in the dark ages so I really welcome suggestions for:

a) which PC desktop or laptop

b) which two monitors for financial data (no other use)

Thanks for your suggestions

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I like the Lenovo "Tiny" desktops right now. An i5 or ryzen 5 would be enough processor, and I'd get 16G of RAM if I were you, though 8GB might work. You're looking at $700-$800 for that type of config pre-built.

Any newer monitor would probably work, I've had FAR fewer problems with PC's using monitors than Macs. Just make sure you have the right cables. You might need to use one DP and one HDMI cable depending on the model you get.

Reactions: Bodie CI5

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
What @bobcomer said. If that is all you are going to use it for then a mini PC and any two monitors of her preferred size. I can't imagine she will need anything specific or special for the stated purpose. Although don't go cheapest, $700ish sounds about right for a decent spec that will run well.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Most compact desktops would do the job. I personally like the intel NUCs due to their compact footprint, and can be mounted in one of the monitor's back to reduce clutter. Processor wise, anything quad-core i5 or Ryzen5 and higher should be fine. I mentioned quad-core as minimum because Zoom requires quad-core for background blurring and other features. RAM 16GB, SSD as needed.

As for monitors, I would explore the idea of using an ultra wide monitor like the LG monitors with 32:9/21:9 aspect ratio, or the unique 16:18 like the LG 28MQ780. These might eliminate the need for dual monitors, and might even increase productivity.

Last edited:

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
I like the Lenovo "Tiny" desktops right now. An i5 or ryzen 5 would be enough processor, and I'd get 16G of RAM if I were you, though 8GB might work. You're looking at $700-$800 for that type of config pre-built.

Any newer monitor would probably work, I've had FAR fewer problems with PC's using monitors than Macs. Just make sure you have the right cables. You might need to use one DP and one HDMI cable depending on the model you get.
Very early last year I sold a Lenovo Ryzen 5 Tiny on eBay to a business. The owner of the business wrote to me to express how happy he was with the purchase - it replaced an ageing Thinkcentre for use with their bookkeeping. I'd never received such feedback before.

When I had it, I paired it up with one of Lenovo's monitors (24"). Great combo. Mouse and keyboard were bundled with it, too.

Reactions: bobcomer

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Very early last year I sold a Lenovo Ryzen 5 Tiny on eBay to a business. The owner of the business wrote to me to express how happy he was with the purchase - it replaced an ageing Thinkcentre for use with their bookkeeping. I'd never received such feedback before.
They really do work quite well and not all that expensive. The only problem I've had with one of them was the power brick dying. Just replaced it with another one and no problems since. It's basically a thinkpad power adapter. :)

Reactions: Bodie CI5

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
They really do work quite well and not all that expensive. The only problem I've had with one of them was the power brick dying. Just replaced it with another one and no problems since. It's basically a thinkpad power adapter. :)
Yep, they’re quite nippy. Been more than once that I’ve regretted selling it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.