Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I have a Win 7 machine kicking around for a few Quickbooks clients. Yesterday it decided it didn't want to load Windows and couldn't fix itself.

I managed to get to the command line and was able to copy the files I'd worked on this week over to a flash drive so that's all good.

I then remembered I had a database to download Yahoo group data when they closed shop. My main database file is 10gb and I can't get it to copy due to the file system type. What I'm not sure of is if it's hung up on the computer hard drive file system or the USB stick file system or both. If it's just the destination I should be able to reformat a USB stick to do the copy?

And if anyone knows if I can reinstall Win 7 over the top of what I have without reformatting that would be great. For some reason I think I can but wanted to back everything up before trying it.

<as a side note, it was scary how many dos commands I remembered from over 30 years ago>

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Your USB stick is formatted with FAT32 (4GB file size limit). You need to format it with exFAT filesystem.
I was hoping that was the case! So it's not the source but the destination it's complaining about.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.