Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have two Apple 4K TVs - one upstairs in the bedroom and one downstairs in the living room. They are both connected on the same network by using Home Sharing. While it is convenient to use this feature so that any update one Apple TV is reflected on the next it is however causing problems because it sometimes turns on the TV on the other room automatically and unintentionally. Kindly let me know if there is a way whereby I can prevent the turning on the TV in the other room

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if the remote is paired to both tv's

the remote and aTV only pair one to one, each remote will only do one aTV at a time, and each aTV will only do one remote at a time. It's easy to change which one it's paired with, but that would automatically remove any previous parings.

I have two Apple 4K TVs - one upstairs in the bedroom and one downstairs in the living room. They are both connected on the same network by using Home Sharing. While it is convenient to use this feature so that any update one Apple TV is reflected on the next it is however causing problems because it sometimes turns on the TV on the other room automatically and unintentionally. Kindly let me know if there is a way whereby I can prevent the turning on the TV in the other room

The "one Home Screen" that keeps apps and Home Screen layouts synced across devices only does that those 2 things. power shouldn't happen.

do you have any homekit scenes that play music on non-apple speakers? (or possibly even on apple speakers)
It needs a home hub (aTV or HomePod) to use as the source player. When this happens, if it uses an aTV, The aTV will wake to be able to airplay music to another speaker

If you airplay to an aTV, that will cause the aTV (and possibly TV) to wake up. You can airplay audio from one aTV to another, but you have to manually enable it each time. Or if you ask Siri to "play this everywhere" she will try to send audio that aTV also.

Make sure your remotes are accounted for, especially since a lot of TV remotes are RF now, they can easily slip between cushions, and still control the TV.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Definitely need some more troubleshooting... there are two ways ATV can turn on the television. One is the remote sends out an IR signal (which is line-of-sight, so unlikely to work from a different floor) and the other is ARC, where the ATV that just turned on, turns on the set through the HDMI cable (so not going to happen, unless you're turning on that ATV so again - not likely just using the remote of the other ATV.)

AirPlay can turn on an ATV unexpectedly, so if you're doing any of that it could cause issues... sound bars or home stereo systems can trigger ARC so if something along those lines is installed, perhaps... but it's unlikely to be just one ATV talking to the other ATV.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
eARC - make sure it's off on everything
the other is ARC, where the ATV that just turned on, turns on the set through the HDMI cable (so not going to happen, unless you're turning on that ATV so again - not likely just using the remote of the other ATV.)

AirPlay can turn on an ATV unexpectedly, so if you're doing any of that it could cause issues... sound bars or home stereo systems can trigger ARC so if something along those lines is installed, perhaps... but it's unlikely to be just one ATV talking to the other ATV.

ARC / eARC is Audio Return Channel, it allows you to send audio "backwards" on an HDMI cable. Typically sending audio out of an input on the TV to an external sound device (soundbar, receiver, or homepods connected through a newer aTV). It travels on its own dedicated pins in the HDMI cable, and not on the normal audio pins.

Turning the TV on/off, navigating menus, and controlling volume over HDMI is HDMI-CEC (consumer electronics control), different manufacturers have different names, but they're all the same (LG is simplink, another uses anynet, google the brand and CEC to see what they call it)

they are completely separate things, but typically if a TV supports one, it will support the other.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
ARC / eARC is Audio Return Channel, it allows you to send audio "backwards" on an HDMI cable. Typically sending audio out of an input on the TV to an external sound device (soundbar, receiver, or homepods connected through a newer aTV). It travels on its own dedicated pins in the HDMI cable, and not on the normal audio pins.

Turning the TV on/off, navigating menus, and controlling volume over HDMI is HDMI-CEC (consumer electronics control), different manufacturers have different names, but they're all the same (LG is simplink, another uses anynet, google the brand and CEC to see what they call it)

they are completely separate things, but typically if a TV supports one, it will support the other.

Know what? WAW74 is right - I mixed up eARC and HDMI-CEC. Make sure CEC is disabled.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I just checked and mine have different names maybe because of HomeKit. This article has about 4 reasons(issues with wifi is one) why a name change and well why not give it a try, lol. Heck, almost forgot the article lol

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
The Siri Remote doesn't use Wifi, it's bluetooth. Bluetooth pairs using a unique ID, there are 261 trillion address available.

there is no function that syncs power state between 2 appleTVs

my money is on something trying to airplay, which will cause the aTV to wake up, and if the TV is controlled using HDMI-CEC then waking the aTV will wake the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.