Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I'm not sure where to post this but I need to find the cable with one end terminating in an "L" (it actually needs to go to the right) from the front of my OWC Thunderbolt dock into the USB-C port of my M1 MacMini. As you can see if the USB-C 4 cable would angle right I could tidy up the cable, instead of it hanging off the front of my equipment stack.

So fare I have not be able to find an an "L" angled cable with Thunderbolt 4 designation.

Many thanks!

IMG_1696.jpeg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you find the right angle USB-C connector, then "right" or "left" is meaningless, as the plug can simply be plugged in either direction. I looked briefly, and didn't find a right-angle cord with Thunderbolt designation. Doesn't mean that does not exist. I expect you will find something usable if you also look for at least 10 Mbps. That should work for you.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
If its a thunderbolt dock, then you need a thunderbolt cable not a usb-c cable, even though the connectors are the same electrically they are much different. Here is such a cable from a reputable brand:

Reactions: jazz1 and Chuckeee

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I've been using one of these with my dock:

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
If its a thunderbolt dock, then you need a thunderbolt cable not a usb-c cable, even though the connectors are the same electrically they are much different. Here is such a cable from a reputable brand:

Many, many thanks! This cable stuff is so confusing!

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL

True. USB-C just refers to the connector. The cable or adapter needs to support the full data capability of the dock. Also, you can't just say "Thunderbolt" and be accurate. Not only are there the old (antique) Tb 1 & 2 ports that use a mini-Dp connector, but the modern Tb that uses USB-C connectors exists as TB3 and as TB4. TB3 is now embedded in the USB-4 spec so proper certified USB-4 cables and adapters fully support TB3.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
True. USB-C just refers to the connector. The cable or adapter needs to support the full data capability of the dock. Also, you can't just say "Thunderbolt" and be accurate. Not only are there the old (antique) Tb 1 & 2 ports that use a mini-Dp connector, but the modern Tb that uses USB-C connectors exists as TB3 and as TB4. TB3 is now embedded in the USB-4 spec so proper certified USB-4 cables and adapters fully support TB3.
DSCF0004.jpeg

Many, many thanks again! The "L" shaped USB-C Thunderbolt cable worked great. Only other 300 more cables to re-arrange! ;)

Reactions: djc6

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I have found that cables labeled for the full USB 4 40Gbps spec also work as thunderbolt cables even if not labeled as such since the standards are technically the same. I have a 2m USB 4 cable that works perfect connecting a Thunderbolt 3 MacMini to a Thunderbolt 4 MacBook Pro in a Thunderbolt Bridge ethernet connection and a Thunderbolt 3 SSD.

No suprise since USB 4 and Thunderbolt 4 are the same spec, but the cables that are only labeled for USB 4 are usually much cheaper. USB 3.x and lower specced cables do not work.

Reactions: dwig and jazz1

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I have found that cables labeled for the full USB 4 40Gbps spec also work as thunderbolt cables even if not labeled as such since the standards are technically the same. I have a 2m USB 4 cable that works perfect connecting a Thunderbolt 3 MacMini to a Thunderbolt 4 MacBook Pro in a Thunderbolt Bridge ethernet connection and a Thunderbolt 3 SSD.

No suprise since USB 4 and Thunderbolt 4 are the same spec, but the cables that are only labeled for USB 4 are usually much cheaper. USB 3.x and lower specced cables do not work.
USB4 and Thunderbolt 4 aren't exactly the same spec.

Thunderbolt 3 as a separate entity is dead. Intel, which currently holds the Thunderbolt specs and does the certification, no longer directly supports TB3 and only supports it as a legacy "fallback to older functionality" in TB4. They handed off the TB3 spec and its certification to the USB-IF (the organization that defines USB) and they've embedded it into the USB4 specification. So, certified USB4 devices and cables support TB3 as it's part of the USB4 spec.

Reactions: sevoneone and jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.