Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Foolishly I have updated my 2012 Mac Mini to High sierra and my audio plugins won’t work. I went to the App Store to redownload Sierra and it’s not there. After googling it seeks Apple don’t want people to go back and have taken the previous OS downloads off. How the hell do I get the link to download Sierra as I use this for Uni and need a working Mac that runs Logic.

Matt

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I think old versions can be downloaded if you go to the Purchases tab of the Mac App Store. At least on 10.9.5, I can see 10.9 and 10.10 there for me to download. However I don't think you can just update to an old version, may have to do a fresh installation.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Mavericks, El Capitan and Yosemite is in there but no Sierra

Don't mind doing a fresh installation but can't get Sierra to do it

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I assume you didn't make a backup before the update? If you did you could restore from it to previous OS. You just find out the hard way why installing new OS without backup is a bad idea...

If you don't have backup you should copy all important information to external drive and then you can try Internet restore to go back to Sierra.

Shift-Option-Command-R might restore Sierra or previous version. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Why would Apple stop people going back to Sierra?? They are taking peoples choices away. Also for musicians who use Logic Pro , why mess the audio units up? Just makes no sense.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP has just discovered why it's IMPERATIVE that one make a fully-bootable cloned backup of one's internal drive (using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper) BEFORE attempting a major system upgrade.

If the OP had such a clone, he would be back up-and-running now, with no need to post here.
But that ain't the case.

OP:
I believe you can re-download Sierra here:
http://osxapps.itunes.apple.com/app...-c51c-c3c1fececb99/jze1425880974225146329.pkg
WARNING: this initiates a download directly to your drive.

Assuming the URL above works for you, put the Sierra installer into your applications folder, BUT... DON'T RUN IT YET.

Next, I STRONGLY ADVISE that you create a bootable USB installer for Sierra by doing the following:

1. You'll need a USB flashdrive of 16gb or larger, initialized to HFS+
2. You'll need either Install Disk Creator or DiskMaker X. I used IDC and got it from here:
https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/
3. BEFORE you run IDC, I suggest you make A SECOND COPY of the Sierra installer somewhere else (do you maintain a drive for archived software?). I believe IDC will delete the installer app from the Applications folder once the USB flashdrive is done.
4. Now, open IDC. Select your source file (the Sierra installer), and select your target (the USB flashdrive). Then... let 'er go.
5. When done, you should have a bootable installer on the USB flashdrive.
6. You can use this to boot the Mac and re-install Sierra.
HOWEVER -- I don't think Sierra can be installed "over" HiSierra, which means you have to re-initialize the internal drive first.
YOU DO HAVE BACKUPS OF YOUR DATA, DON'T YOU ?????
7. Once done, your Mac should boot with the fresh copy of Sierra, and your next step is to restore your data using setup assistant (or manually).

This should "get you back to where you once belonged".

But do you now understand why YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD a bootable cloned backup before you even started?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It might be easier just to upgrade to Logic Pro X which imports old 9 projects but you would have to use 32lives for any 32bit old plugins to work.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
It might be easier just to upgrade to Logic Pro X which imports old 9 projects but you would have to use 32lives for any 32bit old plugins to work.

I am talking about Logic Pro X. The AU issue is with high Sierra.

Matt
[doublepost=1506531272][/doublepost]
The OP has just discovered why it's IMPERATIVE that one make a fully-bootable cloned backup of one's internal drive (using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper) BEFORE attempting a major system upgrade.

If the OP had such a clone, he would be back up-and-running now, with no need to post here.
But that ain't the case.

OP:
I believe you can re-download Sierra here:
http://osxapps.itunes.apple.com/app...-c51c-c3c1fececb99/jze1425880974225146329.pkg
WARNING: this initiates a download directly to your drive.

Assuming the URL above works for you, put the Sierra installer into your applications folder, BUT... DON'T RUN IT YET.

Next, I STRONGLY ADVISE that you create a bootable USB installer for Sierra by doing the following:

1. You'll need a USB flashdrive of 16gb or larger, initialized to HFS+
2. You'll need either Install Disk Creator or DiskMaker X. I used IDC and got it from here:
https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/
3. BEFORE you run IDC, I suggest you make A SECOND COPY of the Sierra installer somewhere else (do you maintain a drive for archived software?). I believe IDC will delete the installer app from the Applications folder once the USB flashdrive is done.
4. Now, open IDC. Select your source file (the Sierra installer), and select your target (the USB flashdrive). Then... let 'er go.
5. When done, you should have a bootable installer on the USB flashdrive.
6. You can use this to boot the Mac and re-install Sierra.
HOWEVER -- I don't think Sierra can be installed "over" HiSierra, which means you have to re-initialize the internal drive first.
YOU DO HAVE BACKUPS OF YOUR DATA, DON'T YOU ?????
7. Once done, your Mac should boot with the fresh copy of Sierra, and your next step is to restore your data using setup assistant (or manually).

This should "get you back to where you once belonged".

But do you now understand why YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD a bootable cloned backup before you even started?

Hi,

Yes I have backups of all my data and plugins. Just clicked that link and its downloading something. Doesn't say Sierra , just says a load of numbers. Will se what it is when its downloaded. Thanks for the link.

For how many people that use LPX , you would have thought Apple would know this and make the au issue a non issue.

Matt
[doublepost=1506532345][/doublepost]That link doesn't work. The internet recovery is trying to reinstall high Sierra so Apple have obviously changed that now as before it would recover to the OS that was sold with the Mac. So im basically stuck. Being told that I should have backups but this is Apple we are talking about , you know the "it just works" company. How can Apple do this to loyal customers who have spent thousands of pounds in kit. I think this is the last nail in the coffin for me with Apple. So fed up of being dictated to what I can and can't do on an OS and the stupid tricks they keep pulling for no benefit. There is thousands of pages on the internet with disgruntled professionals. I know of a top producer/dj who has moved to cubase and PC as a direct result of Apple and it changing things constantly. They are taking peoples choices away from them. Why stop somebody going back to Sierra? Thats my choice!!! Just silly.

Last edited:

Surfmavs

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Merida Yucatan Mexico
I am talking about Logic Pro X. The AU issue is with high Sierra.

Matt
[doublepost=1506531272][/doublepost]

Hi,

Yes I have backups of all my data and plugins. Just clicked that link and its downloading something. Doesn't say Sierra , just says a load of numbers. Will se what it is when its downloaded. Thanks for the link.

For how many people that use LPX , you would have thought Apple would know this and make the au issue a non issue.

Matt
[doublepost=1506532345][/doublepost]That link doesn't work. The internet recovery is trying to reinstall high Sierra so Apple have obviously changed that now as before it would recover to the OS that was sold with the Mac. So im basically stuck. Being told that I should have backups but this is Apple we are talking about , you know the "it just works" company. How can Apple do this to loyal customers who have spent thousands of pounds in kit. I think this is the last nail in the coffin for me with Apple. So fed up of being dictated to what I can and can't do on an OS and the stupid tricks they keep pulling for no benefit. There is thousands of pages on the internet with disgruntled professionals. I know of a top producer/dj who has moved to cubase and PC as a direct result of Apple and it changing things constantly. They are taking peoples choices away from them. Why stop somebody going back to Sierra? Thats my choice!!! Just silly.

Here's the link for the sierra 10.12.6 combo Download ---> oops!! sorry, this combos need to have the base sierra 10.12 already installed... never mind the link... ohh.. yes i can't find the link for base sierra installer... man this scares me....

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
have been running LX 10.3.2 thru all the high sierra betas (and now, the final) and have no such issue. you may want to investigate that instead of downgrading your OS... just a suggestion!

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
have been running LX 10.3.2 thru all the high sierra betas (and now, the final) and have no such issue. you may want to investigate that instead of downgrading your OS... just a suggestion!

Have you changed over to APFS to still on HFS? Im on APFS

Ive just been on to apple support who have said I'm basically stuffed. They won't give me the sierra dmg file and I'm told to just wait until the plugin vendors do an update.

THANKS APPLE!
[doublepost=1506538323][/doublepost]Can somebody download it from the app store and then share it?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
yes, my macs are on the new file system. again, might be worth troubleshooting the issue, rather than trying to go back to an older OS. definitely check out your 3rd-party plugins, may be a conflict with one specifically (for example). i LIVE on 3rd-party plugins... all of which have worked thru all the betas (just logic X itself had some issues thru the betas).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
try reinstalling them (and make sure you have the latest versions!). am using ff plugins & spire (1.1) as well (& lots more), and all are validating, and working.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
contact revealsound, and/or fabfilter. or discuss with apple (since the OS is now 'legit', and logic is an apple app....).
possibly... quit logic, go to your user library, in the cache folder find the 'audio unit cache' folder, move it to the desktop. reboot, au's should all rescan. see how that goes (you can always quit logic and put back the one from the desktop if.

but i'd work on the problem if i were you. this way, down the line, when logic (or other apps) need the latest OS, you'll already be there...

good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.