Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I am a volunteer for a couple of annual events. One event happens in mid-June (summer). The other event happens in early February.

In the past, we have worked with other organizations to collaborate. This year, we are doing most of the work to set-up the events on our own. This is a new arrangement for the volunteer organization I represent. These events attract participants from both close-by and far away (out-of county and out-of-state). I am essentially the official PR person now. Because of our new arrangement, we are on a shoestring budget right now.

I already have g-mail addresses for the events, so that's no problem. I also have Facebook pages for them. One thing I do not have (and the events will each need) is a blog. I need a blog to post more than I can post on a Facebook page. Sometimes I need to put out a blog entry (brief article) or a place to post a PDF file for a more detailed announcement (usually 2 to 3 pages long). It would be nice if I could occasionally post a small number of photos. I also want to post basic information about each event on its own blog. I also want to make sure that the blog service is reasonably secure so it doesn't get hacked-into.

I've heard that WordPress offers a couple of different ways to create a blog, and one of them is supposedly free (the last I heard). I do not know of any other options.

For years, I had a GoDaddy account and I used Apple's old iWeb to create simple web-sites. This was unnecessarily costly, constantly had technical problems, and really wasn't very effective.

Does WordPress still offer something that would suit my needs? If so, are there any tutorials on how to set it up and use it? Or is there someplace else I should look? Do need to use more than one service in order to satisfy all my needs? Is there a way to coordinate activity to make a blog work with a Facebook page?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.