Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Hi guys, just got an iPhone X about 3 weeks ago. I've been noticing that a couple times a day when I press the lock/wake button once to wake the phone up, it won't respond. When I press it a second time, I get the Apple Pay prompt. This is really annoying. Is anybody else experiencing this? On iOS 11.2.5.

I thought it might be a hardware issue at first but the phone clearly recognizes the click since it prompts for the 2-click Apple Pay. Also once it's awake, I can press the button 50 times and it'll respond perfectly each time. Because of this issue, I turned off the 2-click Apple Pay feature and have been tapping my screen to wake, but it's still annoying!

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I know there a slight delay when waking the screen using the side button on the x as it waits for a second click. This is not what you are experiencing? It doesn’t respond at all on the first click? Have you tried rebooting? Or reset all settings. Last resort before going to Apple is restoring the phone.

PCFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
It doesn't respond at all on the first click. I tried rebooting, even a hard-reboot. Haven't reset all settings or restored yet. This only happens a couple times a day. Most of the time it responds the first time.

PCFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I use raise or tap usually but I just tried the button twice and it worked on the first press both times?
Like I said, it's really something that only happens sometimes. I guess the question is more for those who do use the sleep/wake button to wake their iPhones.

PCFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Sound like a hardware issue. Maybe dirt/lint inside.

I find that hard to believe because it’s basically brand new and been in the Apple silicone case ever since I bought it. And it’s not like it doesn’t recognize the first click, because when I click it a second time, Apple Pay comes up

PCFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Is it just this one aspect of it?
Yes, other than that it seems to be working perfectly. Once I unlock the phone I can use the button a million times and it'll work perfectly each time.

PCFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
So you think it's a hardware issue? Even though the button seems to be working perfectly when I test it otherwise?

Protozo

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Software, i have change my phone 5 times, and the 5 phones have the same issue.
Report the issue in the feedback app beta software...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
So you think it's a hardware issue? Even though the button seems to be working perfectly when I test it otherwise?

It is likely a software glitch as you say two presses get you right into Apple Pay. Was just thinking maybe let Apple take a look but according to the post above this one, he has tried multiple X units and all did the same.

I can lay my X down and every time I push the side button once, it wakes up. I usually only use the side button to shut the screen off as I have raise to wake activated. Might want to wait till the next update. In the mean time just touching the screen works well, too!

PCFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
It is likely a software glitch as you say two presses get you right into Apple Pay. Was just thinking maybe let Apple take a look but according to the post above this one, he has tried multiple X units and all did the same.

I can lay my X down and every time I push the side button once, it wakes up. I usually only use the side button to shut the screen off as I have raise to wake activated. Might want to wait till the next update. In the mean time just touching the screen works well, too!
That's what I was thinking. It really only happens if I lay the phone down while it's asleep, and leave it there for a couple minutes, and then try to wake it with the button.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
That's what I was thinking. It really only happens if I lay the phone down while it's asleep, and leave it there for a couple minutes, and then try to wake it with the button.

Ah, I will try that now. Sorry, even after over 5 minutes my X comes to life with one push of the button. I am on 11.2.5

PCFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Software, i have change my phone 5 times, and the 5 phones have the same issue.
Report the issue in the feedback app beta software...
Ok well then hopefully it's a bug that gets solved. I'm not running a beta though I'm on 11.2.5. You're saying you got your phone replaced 5 times by Apple for this issue?

Protozo

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Ok well then hopefully it's a bug that gets solved. I'm not running a beta though I'm on 11.2.5. You're saying you got your phone replaced 5 times by Apple for this issue?
Not for this issue, I have replace the phone because the earpeace speaker crackling...
I have reported this issue several times in the feedback beta app, and the result is that Apple do nothing

PCFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
My only concern with replacement is getting a refurbished device. Just got this phone 3 weeks ago for 1529$ + tax. Not down to get a refurbished device as a result

Jpich

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2018
Hi guys, just got an iPhone X about 3 weeks ago. I've been noticing that a couple times a day when I press the lock/wake button once to wake the phone up, it won't respond. When I press it a second time, I get the Apple Pay prompt. This is really annoying. Is anybody else experiencing this? On iOS 11.2.5.

I thought it might be a hardware issue at first but the phone clearly recognizes the click since it prompts for the 2-click Apple Pay. Also once it's awake, I can press the button 50 times and it'll respond perfectly each time. Because of this issue, I turned off the 2-click Apple Pay feature and have been tapping my screen to wake, but it's still annoying!
I have the same exact issue as you. Deff not a software issue. 100% hardware defect. Gonna go to Apple to get a replacement phone soon and hopefully they don’t give me a hard time because I’ll give them a piece of my mind

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA

It could be doing "raise to wake" or "tap to wake" and it is in the process of turning on the screen when you press the side button causing the screen to then go off again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.