Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Danny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Croatia
Hey guys,

I would like to reinstall OS X on my iBook. That is i want to wipe the whole HDD and install everything fresh (don't ask why.. let's just say it's full of crap from the previous owner).

My problem is that it wont boot the OS X DVD. I put it in, restart the iBook and hold c but nothing happens. The system boots into the OS again. I tried it without holding c as well but still the same.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Always a good source of info:

http://www.apple.com/support/

What is an OpenFirmware Password?:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482

This doc tells you how to cope with it for booting from CD:

How to troubleshoot a computer with Open Firmware Password enabled

If you cannot access the Open Firmware Password application and need to troubleshoot your computer by:
Resetting the PRAM
Starting up in Single-user mode
Starting up in Verbose mode
Starting from CD-ROM

Then follow these steps:

Start up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.
At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram
Press Return.
When prompted for your password, enter it and press the Return key.
It responds OK.
At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all
Press Return.

The computer restarts and you are now be able to reset the PRAM and startup in Single-user mode, Verbose mode, or from CD-ROM.

As for defeating it, well I'll not detail that as it's a security risk. However, it's been covered many a time and is easily findable via Google.

.Danny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Croatia
I don't think that's it. I can boot fine from the Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test DVD (or is it a CD..) but the OS X install DVD doesn't boot. It just acts like it isn't there and boots into the existing installation.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Is it the installation DVD that came with the Mac, or something else?
If you boot holding down Option, with the DVD in, does it show up as a selectable boot source?

.Danny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Croatia
It's the original DVD that came with the iBook.

When i boot up with the Option key i can not see it there, the only choice is from the HDD.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Then there is something wrong with that DVD, is it scratched?
Does it show up on the Desktop if you pop it in?

.Danny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Croatia
Duh, forget it. I missed Disc 1 in the package and thought the Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test was Disc 1. Sorry for the trouble. ^^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.