Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
I have:

2010 Mac Pro
12-Core
2x 2.93ghz Westmere

I’m not sure what backplane I need - and I can’t figure out how to take the current one out in order to verify it (yet)

What model number do I need?
661-5706?
820-2337-A?

Again:

2010 Mac Pro
12 Core
2x 2.93 Westmere

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
Just make sure you get a 5.1 board and you will be fine. Also make sure to dump the rom before installing the new board. If it is a used one that already has a serial number in it you will run in to severe issues

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
this is the number on a original 5.1 2010 board

IMG_5119.jpg

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
6126311E-EB94-4803-8E30-D75A254ADF61.png

I don’t know how to dump the rom :(

The manual calls the product “661-5706”... though the board itself is “820-2337-A” as far as I know.

This is the board I bought (not received), and I’m crossing my fingers it is the correct one...

Just make sure you get a 5.1 board and you will be fine. Also make sure to dump the rom before installing the new board. If it is a used one that already has a serial number in it you will run in to severe issues

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Can you boot your Mac Pro at all presently? If not, what exactly are your symptoms that brought you to buying a new backplane/logicboard?

Asking as you need to dump the rom off the board you have, but if it’s not bootable that may not be possible.

More info needed here to help.

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
Thank you for asking:

The system turns on, the red LEDs for the cpu/ram tray blink once - all fans and other components look and sound as they would when booting normally.

There is no chime however.

I tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM several times - still with no chime.

Switched out the GPU with a known working GPU.

I cleaned and reseated the CPUs.

I removed all drives - still no chime.

No matter what I’ve done (I read every thread (here) that featured the same symptoms and concluded it was likely the backplane....

I could be wrong, (of course), but this was the first logical step given how this Mac is (not) performing/ reacting..

I have new RAM coming too...

Thoughts?

Can you boot your Mac Pro at all presently? If not, what exactly are your symptoms that brought you to buying a new backplane/logicboard?

Asking as you need to dump the rom off the board you have, but if it’s not bootable that may not be possible.

More info needed here to help.

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Did you check the Northbridge heatsink? Those rivets are notorious for popping....

No solid LED's after the power button is pressed? Have you tried taking out all RAM sticks and try booting with just one at a time?

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
Admittedly I know nothing about the northbridge or it’s rivets. Was this a problem with 2010 5,1 computers too? Or was this confined to 2009 / 4,1 units?

Any images/video I could refer to?

I did not try a single stick of ram. If I do this, which slot should I start with?

Did you check the Northbridge heatsink? Those rivets are notorious for popping....

No solid LED's after the power button is pressed? Have you tried taking out all RAM sticks and try booting with just one at a time?

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Underneath the CPU A heatsink is another smaller one. This is the Northbridge heatsink. I've attached a screenshot... The rivets that hold these on are plastic and can break over time. When it happens, the computer will refuse to boot. Usually the CPU led will stay lit, but in your case not sure if that's the case right now. Have a look at this...

Ram slots for testing shouldn't matter as far as I know, but maybe someone else can correct me.

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 12.04.43 PM.png

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
Thank you Alex. I’m reading about these Northbridge issues but so far what I’m seeing seems to be mostly related to 2009 Mac pros.
I certainly haven’t read everything :)

The symptoms regarding such are somewhat familiar, but then again - I do have a “manufacturer refurbished” backplane coming, and a bunch more new RAM. So, hunting a pecking this issue might (hopefully) be a mute point :)

I’ll know more on Friday or Saturday (depending on when/if our “faithful” USPS delivers the new board and ram :)

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
The problems I’ve been mentioning are related to the processor tray, not the backplane. If you don’t properly diagnose the things I’ve mentioned, a board replacement won’t fix anything.

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
You are absolutely right. I don’t know why I wasn’t thinking about the processor tray (I’ve only had 2 cups of my normal 6 cups of coffee :)

Can I simply remove the processor board from the aluminum tray and diagnose the rivets problem for the Northbridge heat sink by looking at the bottom? Or, do I need to remove both the CPU heat sinks and then remove the Northbridge heatsink to know for sure?

The problems I’ve been mentioning are related to the processor tray, not the backplane. If you don’t properly diagnose the things I’ve mentioned, a board replacement won’t fix anything.

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
You are absolutely right. I don’t know why I wasn’t thinking about the processor tray (I’ve only had 2 cups of my normal 6 cups of coffee :)

Can I simply remove the processor board from the aluminum tray and diagnose the rivets problem for the Northbridge heat sink by looking at the bottom? Or, do I need to remove both the CPU heat sinks and then remove the Northbridge heatsink to know for sure?

the way that the CPU board is attached to the tray you cannot see anything useful from just looking underneath. you will need to remove the CPU A heatsink to get to the northbridge heatsink. CPU B heatsink can stay as is, you will not need to remove both to look at what you want to

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada

Skizzo is correct, but if you pull the tray out, you can inspect the Northbridge to see what's going on. The rivets should be visible with the tray removed. Just be careful pulling it out and putting it back in, as you don't want to bend any of the connector pins.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/need-help-with-replacing-a-apple-a1310-video-card.2168885/

See post #17 in this thread of pics of what the rivets look like when they break... You'll know on yours when you see them.

Last edited:

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
65E61A98-3277-48AE-82D1-5512DADE7725.jpeg
1CF621EA-FA32-4644-9AA0-8FA6ACF58C03.jpeg
5AC8EA55-5112-4550-AFA8-1F5E7FC030FF.jpeg

To me, the rivets look good. (See photos)
The northbridge would barely move when touching it.

Thoughts?

Skizzo is correct, but if you pull the tray out, you can inspect the Northbridge to see what's going on. The rivets should be visible with the tray removed. Just be careful pulling it out and putting it back in, as you don't want to bend any of the connector pins.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/need-help-with-replacing-a-apple-a1310-video-card.2168885/

See post #17 in this thread of pics of what the rivets look like when they break... You'll know on yours when you see them.

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
You're good there. Those are intact for sure, so that rules out that as a potential issue. I guess, wait and swap in the new board...

Any least that eliminates the northbridge as a potential culprit. If you read through the service PDF i sent you the link to in post 2, it might help you to try some other options to diagnose what the root cause is here...

Did you try booting with single Ram chips yet?

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
Thanks Alex. I appreciate your help very much. I just got the Apple refurbished board a moment ago so I’ll be swapping things this evening. The only thing I didn’t try was using one stick of RAM at a time on the CPU board. Call it “newbieness “ but I just don’t think that’s where the issue lies. I guess we’ll see. And I have just as much chance of being completely wrong :)

Reactions: Alex Sanders74

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
No problem. This forum is a place where we can ask for help. Always try searching for solutions first before asking. Many issues have been discussed here previously with regards to these machines. Someone can always help or point you in the right direction. Also, adding your computer specs to your signature can help people diagnose problems a lot faster. Still have no idea how much Ram you have or what GPU you're running...

Curious how things pan out. Not sure if there are issues associated with a new backplane and iCloud services. Also, curious what firmware the board comes to you with. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here. Feel free to PM me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.