Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
My HD crashed. Can't recover anything. Drive doesn't even show up when I insert Tiger DVD and try Disk Repair.

So I took it to the Apple Store and they quoted me at $340 to put a new 80 GB 5400 rpm drive in (don't have Applecare or warranty anymore). The guy told me I could probably get it cheaper elsewhere. He mentioned a site called pbfixit.com.

So what do you guys suggest I do? I'd rather not open the PB myself, but I think I want to go with some else rather than Apple to replace it so I can get it cheaper. What are my options?

thanks.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
Gherkin said:
My HD crashed. Can't recover anything. Drive doesn't even show up when I insert Tiger DVD and try Disk Repair.

So I took it to the Apple Store and they quoted me at $340 to put a new 80 GB 5400 rpm drive in (don't have Applecare or warranty anymore). The guy told me I could probably get it cheaper elsewhere. He mentioned a site called pbfixit.com.

So what do you guys suggest I do? I'd rather not open the PB myself, but I think I want to go with some else rather than Apple to replace it so I can get it cheaper. What are my options?

thanks.

pbfixit will show you how to install it. I also think they will do the replacement for a fee.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Really? Nice. I was thinking of downgrading to a 60 GB and buying an external HD as well for backup and miscellaneous storage.

So if the HD is $150, you can send it to pbfixit and they will install the new HD for free?

I also would maybe consider installing it myself if it isn't too hard. I've built two Windows computers in the past so I'm fairly knowledable with computers.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
katie ta achoo said:
follow this guide

it is 100% of pure tasty treats of goodness.

just take a deep breath, take it slow, and REMEMBER TO GROUND YOURSELF!

zzzzzap!
:p

Yeah, it depends how "DIY-averse" you are, but these guides really do tell you everything you need and make the process as painless as possible. If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself tough, then I'm afraid the trade-off is paying someone else to do it for you.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
~Shard~ said:
Yeah, it depends how "DIY-averse" you are, but these guides really do tell you everything you need and make the process as painless as possible. If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself tough, then I'm afraid the trade-off is paying someone else to do it for you.

Is it easy to remove the top off a PB in the first place?

I heard stories of how the panel will get more and more warped the more times you open it... if that's not lousy design I don't know what it is :(

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I actually just did this the other day with the guide that was posted above. Besides the step where you have to blindly unlock the latch above the dvd-rom drive it was a piece of cake.

Made a bit of a mess of the case in that area getting it unlocked. :(

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Gherkin said:
So I took it to the Apple Store and they quoted me at $340 to put a new 80 GB 5400 rpm drive in ...<snip> So what do you guys suggest I do?
You can live vicariously through my own experiences with the exact same problem you're facing now here in my thread.

I eventually decided to do it myself because I'm sort of a DIY'er and pbfixit.com was good enough that it made the process fairly straightforward. I probably saved $150-$200 doing it myself.

Just be prepared to catalog the screws you'll need to unscrew, and go about it slowly and methodically, especially if it's your first time. <--- ok, that sounded a little dirty.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You will probably need two sizes of Torx screwdrivers -- the one that is one size smaller than you get in any Torx 'kit' of screwdrivers, and the one smaller than that one. Find a well-stocked hardware store. Wallyworld probably won't have them.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
~Shard~ said:
attachment.php

Wow, great design!

You even get ctrl-alt-del to reboot the thing when it BSODs! :D

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Lacero said:
You can live vicariously through my own experiences with the exact same problem you're facing now here in my thread.

I eventually decided to do it myself because I'm sort of a DIY'er and pbfixit.com was good enough that it made the process fairly straightforward. I probably saved $150-$200 doing it myself.

Just be prepared to catalog the screws you'll need to unscrew, and go about it slowly and methodically, especially if it's your first time. <--- ok, that sounded a little dirty.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Bah. Cataloging screws isn't necessary...I took my iBook apart to see how it all fit together (when I mean apart, I mean that every piece that could be separated was separated...top, bottom, display, mobo, trackpad, HD, optical, hinge assembly...), and put it back together no worries...took me 2 hours and I came up 3 screws over. You'll find most of the screws are the same size and it's pretty obvious where the not-normal ones go. Screw cataloging is for sissies.
:D

Afterwards I couldn't tell my iBook apart from before the take apart except from not-so-delicate case markings...do yourself a favor and get a spudger from PBfixit. It'll save you frustration from dinging up the metal as you go.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I installed a new drive in my powerbook a few days ago. Everything was going fine until it came to installing the drive.... :rolleyes: The screws holding down the metal clasp over the drive were really tight and the heads wore so much I thought I was going to have to pry them out. I used a big flat head screw driver with a lot of force and eventually got them out. I had to drill a new groove across the heads so if I ever need to take the hard disk out again, it'll be a bit easier.

pbfixit guides were a godsend. It's quite cool seeing inside the powerbooks.

Seagate Momentus 5,400rpm 120Gb. :cool: Brilliant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.