Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slobizman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I have an old Airport Extreme, probably about 8 years old. It seems to have gone wonky on me. I've tried everything including resetting to factory defaults. Anyway, the point is I need to replace the unit. However, it is mounted into a wall unit electrical box, which is not deep enough to hold the new style "vertical" Airport Extreme that is meant to sit on a desk. It's about an inch too wide. This new design really sucks for my situation.

So, I'm stuck with a choice of replacing it with another used (or I think some are still boxed on Amazon) old-style Airport Extreme, or with another brand unit that does the same thing. Of course I'd rather stay with Apple, as all my Airport Expresses, my Airport Time Capsule and all our devices are Apple.

Which is the best choice? And if non-Apple are there any recommendations, warnings?

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I had the new style Airport Extreme for a while, but switched to a Netgear Nighthawk in my new place. The range is MUCH better, and it has been running since February with no restarts needed. I have been extremely impressed, and I have a mix of macOS/Windows machines, with iOS and Android mobile devices. No problems across the board.

slobizman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Without knowing exactly what your mounting situation is, what about simply getting a wall mount for the new Extreme?

A quick search turns up various option, such as this (no endorsement or experience with it) - perhaps you can screw this into the wall next to the wall box.

https://www.amazon.com/AirBase-Ceiling-Polycarbonate-Security-Included/dp/B00IRSDKX6/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31bpNjo2hgL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=7GXTB0HKEBNHXTQP8F6Y
Thanks. I've seen that. I would just have to mount it outside the electronics box and pass cables from it, through the wall, and into the box. Not too elegant, but it's been a possibility.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
What kind of wall mounted electrical box are you putting this in? It sounds to me like it would cause temp issues, and could be hurting your WiFi signal. It's probably a bad idea to have any router inside of it.

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
From my experience, loads of users loved the plug-in Airport Express and found it very practical as they could place it
in a corridor or hall without trailing wires.

(Just another example of why I think Apple are losing touch with their customers)

A useful alternative might be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016K07YT8?psc=1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.